WtF: The Decline in Scuba Participation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....and do we know why less women hit the reef than men? I believe that women make up about a third of all divers. So, is less reef contact due to less women diving than men or is it due to women being more careful?
The research was normalized, not absolute numbers. Why do women touch the Reef less? What do you think?

The research was normalized, not absolute numbers. Why do women touch the Reef less? What do you think?

I don't know! That's why I asked YOU that question! :p

I don't know! That's why I asked YOU that question! :p
I have no interest in speculating.
Here is the original research cited, and a later review article.

Attachments

• Impacts_of_Recreational_Divers_on_Palauan_Coral_Re.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 100
  • A_Review_of_SCUBA_Diving_Impacts_and_Implication_f.pdf
    145.2 KB · Views: 78
Over-fishing = over population
House hold waste + industrial waste = over development = over population

The main culprit is human and diver is just a insignificant minute factor.
Agree with you COMPLETELY. Don't forget agricultural run-off. Ie. the "dead" area in the Gulf off TX & LA.
The scuba diver's impact is like a cigarette smoker's vs. industry, auto pollution of the air.

Maybe because we listen to instructions and don’t usually feel the need to bash the sh*t out of everything? :rofl3::shakehead:
In Panama it was a woman I saw bash the reef, not me. Just one occasion of course.

I have no interest in speculating.
Here is the original research cited, and a later review article.

Why would you have any interest in speculating when you have the articles you're citing!!!? :)

I saw a presentation in Australia in which the speaker blamed reef bashing on "advanced divers" who mistakenly believe they have the skill required to get up close and personal with the reef. That is a decidedly male trait.

Back
Top Bottom