Personal Locator beacon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swamprat

Registered
Reaction score
What do u guys use? My wife and I had a dive in the keys where we didnt realize how far we had unintionally drifted. Mind you we were still by tons of boats just not our dive boat. Then we got to hearing about divers lost going down the moring line or this or that due to current. We want an added layer of protection.

Reactions: OTF
I used to have a Nautilus Lifeline with built in VHF radio, but I flooded it. I really miss that VHF function and wish they would make that model again. They are quite pricey on the used market, indicating I'm not the only one who wants one. Since then I haven't had a PLB a all. Eager to hear what everyone else is using these days.

It's borderline impossible to read the entirety of a 119 page thread
True, but now you can search in a single thread instead of all of SB or the entire internet.

You're both right. I get frustrated when it's all been said before, then again once it's all been said no more SB....For the average somewhat dedicated diver there just aren't that many new scuba topics.

If everyone relied exclusively on reading old threads on used topics, there would be no new threads, and ScubaBoard would be forced to shut down.

I bought a PLB several years ago, after reading the then current threads. I had no trouble finding a suitable PLB. What I had trouble with was finding a suitable canister for it. The one I finally got turned out to be much bigger and bulkier than I needed. Moreover, it came in a holder designed to mount it on a belt. What a laugh! That thing fell apart in no time.

i have not looked into the issue since then. The problem with diving with PLBs is that the PLBs themselves are not designed for diving--you can't take them to any reasonable diving depth. That means you have to find some kind of container to hold them, a container designed for something else. It would be great if someone were to create one that was designed to fit any of a number of PLBs--most are about the same size.

ACR for a true plb (but will need to pay extra for a dive canister), nautilus if you only dive in areas where the boats have AIS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom