Personal Locator beacon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a smoke grenade vacuum packed and stored in a BCD pocket.
The day we tested it we had boats coming from miles around and the VHF was full of boaters wanting to know what it was. Last time we ordered some they were $12.99 each plus shipping.

Do you have a link by any chance?

What do u guys use? My wife and I had a dive in the keys where we didnt realize how far we had unintionally drifted. Mind you we were still by tons of boats just not our dive boat. Then we got to hearing about divers lost going down the moring line or this or that due to current. We want an added layer of protection.

Here are my signaling devices that I always carry in my BCD pockets.

C6E1EA22-4DDB-4058-88E7-D6A4B5620F48.jpeg

If you want a PLB (a real PLB, not a SPOT or InReach version), it might be best to wait a bit. A new feature is just being introduced that is terrific. It is called Return Link Service (RLS) and is a notification from the satellite back to the PLB that your distress call was received and is being processed. Otherwise, you don't know until the helicopter shows up. So far, for consumer units, I think only two units have RLS: (1) the sMRT Shield (from the UK), which I don't think is actually in production yet, and (2) the McMurdo FastFind ReturnLink unit from Orolia Maritime (now SeaSolutions). See https://www.seasofsolutions.com/wp-...k™-Personal-Locator-Beacon-A4-v3-10-23-19.pdf.
Again, I don't think the new FastFind is for sale yet, but the RLS is worth waiting for.

If you want a PLB (a real PLB, not a SPOT or InReach version), it might be best to wait a bit. A new feature is just being introduced that is terrific. It is called Return Link Service (RLS) and is a notification from the satellite back to the PLB that your distress call was received and is being processed. Otherwise, you don't know until the helicopter shows up. So far, for consumer units, I think only two units have RLS: (1) the sMRT Shield (from the UK), which I don't think is actually in production yet, and (2) the McMurdo FastFind ReturnLink unit from Orolia Maritime (now SeaSolutions). See https://www.seasofsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/FastFind-ReturnLink™-Personal-Locator-Beacon-A4-v3-10-23-19.pdf.
Again, I don't think the new FastFind is for sale yet, but the RLS is worth waiting for.
I wonder if that could be available as software a software update to existing units?

Assuming the device is using the Galileo GNSS constellation (The current ACR ResQlink 400 series does for example), it is just more data on the existing GPS data stream that they use. Admittedly needs to be monitored/filtered and I don't know what the available processing budget is on these devices.

Also they would need to introduce a unique designator color/pattern on the LED depending on capability and it wouldn't match the onboard labeling. For the versions with the display it would be trivial.

I use a smoke grenade vacuum packed and stored in a BCD pocket.
The day we tested it we had boats coming from miles around and the VHF was full of boaters wanting to know what it was. Last time we ordered some they were $12.99 each plus shipping.

Just as a reminder per USCG:

It is a federal felony for anyone to intentionally communicate a false distress message to the Coast Guard or cause the Coast Guard to attempt to save lives and property when no help is needed. This includes firing flares in a non-distress situation or using the word “mayday" for a radio check.

This felony offense is punishable by up to ten years in prison, a criminal fine of up to $250,000, a civil fine of up to $10,000, and reimbursement to the Coast Guard for the cost of any search effort resulting from the false signal.

What do u guys use? My wife and I had a dive in the keys where we didnt realize how far we had unintionally drifted. Mind you we were still by tons of boats just not our dive boat. Then we got to hearing about divers lost going down the moring line or this or that due to current. We want an added layer of protection.

ACR Buoyant (this is important) PLB in A Custom Divers PLB canister along with a cut off hood from a mylar poncho to protect your head from the sun and provide an additional visual aid to SAR. The canister is stored under my wing along with a Piranha Dive Mfg. 8 ft. Ocean Model SMB and a roll up snorkel in a Dive Gear Express lift bag sleeve. My primary DSMB is a HOG 36", also purchased from Piranha. This works well to hang your arms over like a pool noddle while holding the 8 foot SMB upright and the PLB while you wait.

Just as a reminder per USCG:

It is a federal felony for anyone to intentionally communicate a false distress message to the Coast Guard or cause the Coast Guard to attempt to save lives and property when no help is needed. This includes firing flares in a non-distress situation or using the word “mayday" for a radio check.

This felony offense is punishable by up to ten years in prison, a criminal fine of up to $250,000, a civil fine of up to $10,000, and reimbursement to the Coast Guard for the cost of any search effort resulting from the false signal.

That's why the dive club called USCG Fort Macon and got authorization beforehand. They were advised of the test and it was a USCG authorized training class. We do boating safety classes training classes twice per year, which includes popping flares. As per USCG policy, we advise them of the tests and get permission so they are aware and don't send out resources for a false rescue.

The boats that showed up were curious boaters who didn't have a radio on board. And USCG Fort Macon advised anyone who called in on 16 reporting the smoke that it was an authorized training class.

Do you have a link by any chance?

Enola Gaye® Official Store | Buy Smoke Grenades & Smoke Bombs

But as was mentioned, don't pop it near the beach without going through the proper channels for authorization unless it's a legitimate emergency. It can be expensive and possible jail time if the USCG sends out resources because they were not advised and didn't give their blessing. And I doubt you will get their blessing without some sort of training class purpose from an organization. If you just call them and say you want to pop a smoke grenade I suspect they'll tell you to go pound sand.

I printed the email I received authorizing the training and brought it with me in case Marine Patrol showed up they'd know it was authorized.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom