DCS hit during final stop? Has it ever happened?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haldan

Haldane proved his tables using goats.

DCIEM and DSAT were proven using dopler testing on divers.

Most other tables and formulas have proven safe by having a very small number of divers being bent after years of being used
Well, you are not the person I was asking, but I will respond to you.

1. Are you saying that we should use Haldanes "proven" decompression tables and disregard all the work done afterwards?
2. Wait a minute! DSAT and DCIEM do not agree with each other, and neither one agrees with Haldane. So how can they all be "proven"?
3. What are the unproven ones that should be ignored?

Well, you are not the person I was asking, but I will respond to you.

1. Are you saying that we should use Haldanes "proven" decompression tables and disregard all the work done afterwards?
2. Wait a minute! DSAT and DCIEM do not agree with each other, and neither one agrees with Haldane. So how can they all be "proven"?
3. What are the unproven ones that should be ignored?
US Navy tables suit Navy divers since they have a chamber on hand. DCIEM is Canadian I believe. All proven formulas.

Agreed! This is the biggest issue with DeComp Science, that the varriables are, er, too varriable!

What set me off on this line of questioning was if there was an empirical evidence (rather than theoretical or model based) for the appearance of DCS below say 10m.

This i found interesting because the gas compression is an inverse exponential against depth, but gas consumption is broadly linear with depth.

For example:

at 5m, where ambient pressure is 1.5 bar(abs), gas volume is 66% of Surface Volume, and OC consumption is 150% of Surface Consumption

at 10m, where ambient pressure is 2 bar (abs) so gas volume is 50% of SV, and OC consumption is 200% of SC

at 20m, where ambient pressure is 3 bar (abs) so gas volume is 33% of SV, and OC consumption is 300% of SC

Assuming no surface hung/dropped air supply is available, then obviously the maximum amount of deco time on any given remaining gas is going to be longer the shallower you are.

At our 5m point above we are using 50% more air than on the boat, but our bubbles are (nominally) 44% smaller
At our 10m point, we are using 100% more air, and our bubbles are 50% smaller
At our 20m point, we are using 200% more air, and our bubbles are 66% smaller

So in a theoretical emergency situation, what is the best depth to stop at and use up ALL your remaining gas? The answer is as shallow as possible whilst juuust avoiding any symptoms of DCS !! Hence my initial question :)

The answer is it depends on your dive profile which determines how supersaturated your tisues are and how fast they are producing new bubbles. You might have to be pretty deep to avoid DCS symptoms and deeper to resolve symptoms that have already started to occur.

DSAT for recreational. Buhlmann for staged decompression.
Straight Buhlmann, or with what GFs? There is a world of difference.

US Navy tables suit Navy divers since they have a chamber on hand. DCIEM is Canadian I believe. All proven formulas.
So what are the unproven formulas you cautioned against?

Straight Buhlmann, or with what GFs? There is a world of difference.
I use GF 40/70. Although I've dived with 40/75 because these other Technical divers have been inspired by Assistant Professor Mitchell's off-gassing theory. Other technical divers I have asked prefer VPM-B algorithm with GF.

So what are the unproven formulas you cautioned against?
You're the thinking diver. That's what I like. But I'm sure you prefer that I hang out the dirty laundry first. I don't mind detractors like the last one I encountered (2006 Manic of the Year). I would hesitate to recommend UTDs Deco on the fly strategy to anyone. Although, It could be beneficial on exceeded NDL dives.

I use GF. Other technical divers I have asked prefer VPM-B algorithm with GF.
There is no such thing as VPM-B with GF.

You say you use GF. What do you use? The differences are night and day.

When were the GFs you use "proven"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom