Side-mounting 2 different sizes (ex: 80cu & 40cu).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speaking of online training, does anyone have suggestions? I did find sidemount.com, which I'm considering. I found a few more videos scattered on YouTube from other instructors, but most of it's rather limited. I think I've picked up the basics enough to try it safely, but obviously don't want to stop there. My primary goals are to (1) side-mount with a backplate setup and (2) have a redundant air-supply.

P.S. There are some other classes I plan to take locally this year, but as mentioned earlier, I cannot find side-mount locally.

Steve Martin's Sidemount.com courses are hands down some of the best courses I have ever taken. WELL worth the money.

Edit: I took the online ones. Easily as good as ANY in-water course I have taken, and better than most of them. He also has in-water if you want. His whole package cost less than the average single course in-water class. Best money on dive training I have ever spent.

I’ll put in my vote for Rob Neto’s sidemount book. Expensive (around $60), but I found it very helpful.

I didn't realize the dgx kits were that expensive @@. I usually just get the tank clamps myself

Steve Martin's Sidemount.com courses are hands down some of the best courses I have ever taken. WELL worth the money.

+1 for sidemount.com.

Even if your planning on hiring an instructor check it out first as you will then no if you are getting a crap instructor. There are a lot of examples of bad sidemount on the internet, so it's well worth paying for something that at least you know shows how it can be done well.

There's a strong chance I'll sign up on sidemount.com. I'm currently reading through the dir-diver articles linked earlier, and will probably sign up after I make my way through most of the articles.

I just made several adjustable side-mount slings with carry-handles. I have a backplate (but not butt-plate) which is why the lower bolt-snap & hose-clamp is towards the top. I just realized the picture is crappy, but am too lazy to take another at the moment :)
20210527_223343 - Copy.jpg

There's a strong chance I'll sign up on sidemount.com. I'm currently reading through the dir-diver articles linked earlier, and will probably sign up after I make my way through most of the articles.

I just made several adjustable side-mount slings with carry-handles. I have a backplate (but not butt-plate) which is why the lower bolt-snap & hose-clamp is towards the top. I just realized the picture is crappy, but am too lazy to take another at the moment :)
View attachment 661786
20210528_141805[1].jpg

20210528_141754[1].jpg
20210528_141754[1].jpg

Some technical divers prefer the lower bolt snap closer to the valve. The trim is different. Or you may prefer the bolt snaps wider to make your trim more horizontal. From the pics you can make your own.

View attachment 661789
View attachment 661788 View attachment 661788

Some technical divers prefer the lower bolt snap closer to the valve. The trim is different. Or you may prefer the bolt snaps wider to make your trim more horizontal. From the pics you can make your own.
Right, I can make my own easily. If I wanted to reconfigure the strap to look like that left tank, I could, only loosing my "handle." Or worst-case, I just sew another one from scratch.

Thank you for the pictures. I like that design, it looks simple, and probably doable without a sewing machine, so long as that top-tri-glide doesn't slip. With the snaps that far down the tank, does the tank sit underneath the diver? I would have to guess it wouldn't sit in their armpits, unless they used relatively-low d-rings on their rig.

Right, I can make my own easily. If I wanted to reconfigure the strap to look like that left tank, I could, only loosing my "handle." Or worst-case, I just sew another one from scratch.

Thank you for the pictures. I like that design, it looks simple, and probably doable without a sewing machine, so long as that top-tri-glide doesn't slip. With the snaps that far down the tank, does the tank sit underneath the diver? I would have to guess it wouldn't sit in their armpits, unless they used relatively-low d-rings on their rig.
That configuration sits tight under my arms. Use double straps to get the handle. Although I prefer to lift from the valves. The second tank, I just clip bolt snaps to but that may be risky. You can place rope or straps under the stainless steel clamps. The tri-glides don't slip if you double up on the straps. The bottom has 2 tri-glides.
Tank Strap Kits - Hose Retainers

That configuration sits tight under my arms. Use double straps to get the handle. Although I prefer to lift from the valves. The second tank, I just clip bolt snaps to but that may be risky. You can place rope or straps under the stainless steel clamps. The tri-glides don't slip if you double up on the straps. The bottom has 2 tri-glides.
Tank Strap Kits - Hose Retainers
I get it now, the strap is doubled up and starts at the bottom. That's why you don't need 2 tri-glides at the top. I'll keep what I currently have for now, but might borrow your design if I had to do it again.

I just had a clever idea for the side-bungee. It's 2-inch elastic, a 2 triglides, a d-ring, and a clip. I'll want to use better triglides & a replace the purple aluminum clip for the final version, but I like that I can just use the backplate tank-strap slots & adjust this easily if it's too loose or too tight. I'll probably want that ease of adjustment because I'll run different sizes of tanks. The elastic also looks cleaner than bungee-cord.

20210528_004304 - Copy.jpg

I get it now, the strap is doubled up and starts at the bottom. That's why you don't need 2 tri-glides at the top. I'll keep what I currently have for now, but might borrow your design if I had to do it again.

I just had a clever idea for the side-bungee. It's 2-inch elastic, a 2 triglides, a d-ring, and a clip. I'll want to use better triglides & a replace the purple aluminum clip for the final version, but I like that I can just use the backplate tank-strap slots & adjust this easily if it's too loose or too tight. I'll probably want that ease of adjustment because I'll run different sizes of tanks. The elastic also looks cleaner than bungee-cord.

View attachment 661808
DiveRite vids on YouTube will show you how to mount sidemount tank valves using bungee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom