Side-mounting 2 different sizes (ex: 80cu & 40cu).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be curious to see where you end up with this project. Sidemount is a tremendously flexible platform to do many forms of diving. However, it's flexibility includes a great deal of complexity. Having built my own rig and spent considerable time practicing sidemount on my own before getting technical instruction, I can attest that doing it all on your own is very difficult. Doing it with help is merely very challenging. If you want it to look and perform right be open to the idea of buying a dedicated sidemount rig (some do use special backplates) and instruction.

I appreciate the desire to do something for yourself without making a large investment, but with your experience (as listed), kit, and plans, you are going to be hard-pressed to get good results. Nothing wrong with the basic idea, I think. By all means give it a try, but be prepared to cut bait if your approach is not working out. You have not set yourself an easy task. Good luck.

I will be curious to see where you end up with this project. Sidemount is a tremendously flexible platform to do many forms of diving. However, it's flexibility includes a great deal of complexity. Having built my own rig and spent considerable time practicing sidemount on my own before getting technical instruction, I can attest that doing it all on your own is very difficult. Doing it with help is merely very challenging. If you want it to look and perform right be open to the idea of buying a dedicated sidemount rig (some do use special backplates) and instruction.

I appreciate the desire to do something for yourself without making a large investment, but with your experience (as listed), kit, and plans, you are going to be hard-pressed to get good results. Nothing wrong with the basic idea, I think. By all means give it a try, but be prepared to cut bait if your approach is not working out. You have not set yourself an easy task. Good luck.
My original intent was to:
  1. Upgrade from my poorly fit basic BCD. All of the reading suggested going the backplate route, because it was modular. So I started acquiring all the components.
  2. I also wanted to start diving with a redundant air-supply, because most of my diving is solo. That's when I created an account ScubaBoard & started asking for advice, which lead to...
  3. Discovering slinging & then side-mount. By this point, I had just bought or acquired everything for a backplate setup. Regardless, I am aware that dedicated sidemount setups are more specialized for that purpose. and will perform better. I will probably eventually get a side-mount rig, but am trying to not blow all my money at once.
I have a philosophy of "fail safe." Fail, means it usually takes learning from experience and making a few mistakes along the way. "Safe" meaning any failure should have minimal cost. In scuba, actual safety is a (big) consideration of course too. Never be put off by temporary "failures" it's part of the learning process. I've self-taught myself all kinds of things, and I never go in with expectations something will be easy.

(The DIY stuff is more of another hobby of mine outside of scuba, it's skill building, and hands-on stuff that gives me an escape from my day-to-day software-dev work.)

Lets say my first 2 dives suck. Not a problem. Next, is to work my way through sidemount.com (if I haven't started already), adjust my rig along the way, and at least give it another 8 or so dives. If that's a complete disaster, I'll just back-mount my 80cu temporarily, and side-mount the pony. I could possibly get a side-mount rig at this point, if it's the #1 cause of my problems. Then I'd probably start expanding my search area, and travel for some training.

Even if side-mount works out well, I'd definitely get some hands-on training as I start to get into more advanced diving.

Anyway, I appreciate you saying this won't be easy. It gives me a base-line expectation, and an understanding there might be some hard-work ahead.

View attachment 661789
View attachment 661788 View attachment 661788

Some technical divers prefer the lower bolt snap closer to the valve. The trim is different. Or you may prefer the bolt snaps wider to make your trim more horizontal. From the pics you can make your own.

I decided to try that setup on the left. It took about 3 minutes in total, is much cleaner, and worst-case scenario I can take it apart and have about a 5 foot length of webbing, and all of the clips and tri-glides intact.

How to find the Optimal Height for Sidemount Cylinder Bands %

20210527_223343-copy-jpg.661786.jpg

You very obviously, have not absorbed one thing

The rope/webb handle on a bottle is not a handle

How to find the Optimal Height for Sidemount Cylinder Bands %

View attachment 661817

You very obviously, have not absorbed one thing

The rope/webb handle on a bottle is not a handle

Saying "not absorbed one thing" will only trigger a defensive response, which doesn't help me. The only thing I'll say is I JUST discovered side-mount in the last couple days. If I get something wrong, just say so.

That video is helpful.
  • I have a 2nd aluminum backplate, so I might as well try the "toddy style" setup sometime.
  • I'll definitely want to shorten the inflator-hose.
  • Am I handicapping myself without a butt-plate? Some articles I read seem to indicate they're better for steel cylinders than aluminum. I'm willing to buy one if it's important.
  • I measured 11.5 inches from my armpit to the rear-waist waist D-Ring (backplate only). I then measured the same amount from the top of the tank-valve to the hose-clamp. I might be able to get those rings down another 1-3 inches using the crotch-strap to pull down the waist-strap.

Keep it simple.

It took me way more then 8 dives to teach myself Sidemount. I started by trying to figure it out with a plate as well. I get not wanting to invest until your sure. You will want to loosen your shoulder straps and tighten your crotch strap to lower the waist belt. Also for Sidemount you want it all to fit more snug. Your going to need something to put on top of the wing to keep it under control. I made a flat plate out of acrylic that mounted with the STA.

Now. I quickly realized this sucked, but it was enough to hook me on Sidemount. My first Sidemount rig I built from DECO Sidemount parts.

This is all you need for rigging. Use loop bungees.
PXL_20210528_124352742.jpg

Adding to my previous post: My first sidemount only harness was completely designed by me and worked OK for 2 80s. I was quite proud of designing a "better" sidemount system. I spent years "perfecting" it. I was even confidant enough to shore dive it in Bonaire, and boat dive it in Cozumel. When I took my first tech class (tech 40) I quickly realized it didn't scale up. Between tech 40 and tech 45 I subscribed to sidemount.com and completely relearned how to sidemount. I now realize my old system was a complete faf and a waist of time. I'm pretty sure I spent more money on small parts from the hardware store through the process then I ever did on my subscription to sidemount.com. If I had started there, I would have saved money.

I'm now a little embarrassed about these old pics (at least my trim is good):
17523297_10209426520841834_2474345924600319577_n.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom