Back mount pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sory to jump in trying to figure out your setup "reg clipped off to my right chest d-ring". I assume your pony is backmount ? Is that right?

sory to jump in trying to figure out your setup "reg clipped off to my right chest d-ring". I assume your pony is backmount ? Is that right?
Correct
received_1103124357698436.jpeg

Great thread! Now I’m convinced I need to add a pony to my setup. I swear logging on to SB is liking stepping into a used car lot.
Edit: But I do think, for me, as a relatively new diver, that a back mount setup makes sense. Maybe I don’t truly see the big picture, but a slung pony would be more effort to manage, no?

Great thread! Now I’m convinced I need to add a pony to my setup. I swear logging on to SB is liking stepping into a used car lot.
Edit: But I do think, for me, as a relatively new diver, that a back mount setup makes sense. Maybe I don’t truly see the big picture, but a slung pony would be more effort to manage, no?
let's start the debate ! I personnaly use a slung pony (30 cf). The advantage is i always have access to my tank, could read pressure and it will be easier to donate to another diver if i need too. Others will tell you the opposite of me but it.'s ok, at the end i respect each and everyone setup.

Back mount for me because it's out of my way. I have my scooter and camera on every dive and it's easier for me. It's also always with me this way. I check the pressure at home before leaving. It's upside-down so I can reach the valve to feather or turn on/off as needed. I normally keep it partially open, 1 turn at most to prevent catastrophic loss, and turn on when needed. I turn it on specifically during ascents when approaching any req stops, when my buddy signals below 1k psi, and when I go below 1k. These are  my procedures and work for me in how I dive. They don't vary between solo and buddy dives.

I have given my preference, dive as you wish, I always dive fully redundant so I really don't care what configuration my buddy, if I have one, uses. I realize that after diving for 45 years I still have plenty to learn but including an Air2 in my configuration is not one of them. Why adding any task in an emergency is what I would ask.
What is the actual additional task you are referring to?

My concern with this is that I would rather not be inflating my BCD off my pony, which is why I opted not to go with the Air2. If I was buddy diving more I would definately use something like the Air2.
Never ever seen or heard of someone doing that.

What is the actual additional task you are referring to?
It was shown in the video and Boarderguy referenced it in post 200. I dive primary donate with a long hose which will not work with an Air2 without having the extra step of removing it from around your neck prior to donating so it doesn't get tangled with the inflator hose. If the out of air diving pulls the reg from you mouth you have a cluster fk. I have given my preference and the reasons for it, dive what you like it does not impact me.

Back
Top Bottom