Question Inflator hose on spare air pony bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Any experience or opinion on using a pony bottle for both drysuit inflation and backup air supply (13 or 30 cu ft). I’m having some reservations but would love to get feedback from other SBers. Thanks!

I see no problem except that as a backup air supply it may give you a false sense of security unless it is of sufficient volume. If you use an AL40 or something comparable its cool IMO.

Very common for rebreather divers, but requires a larger bottle, 30 or 40cf if not an 80, and making sure it stays topped up between dives.

I would hesitate to answer until I knew your consumption rate and depth. In my humble opinion, a redundant source must be sufficient in size to bring you from planned depth to surface including any safety or deco stops. In most cases, this is just safety stops, but some of us plan light deco. So, if the tank is big enough for both, than I see no issue. However, if it isn't or you use more than normal, then you should reduce your depth accordingly. You don't want to be in a position to require your redundant source and not have enough supply. You should also have a means to see your redundant pressure, i.e. gauge or transmitter on redundant tank.

Any experience or opinion on using a pony bottle for both drysuit inflation and backup air supply (13 or 30 cu ft). I’m having some reservations but would love to get feedback from other SBers. Thanks!
I would not suggest doing this unless you have a very convenient way to refill your pony every couple of dives. You will be burning a couple hundred pounds on each outing and pretty soon your backup air supply is well depleted.

I would not suggest doing this unless you have a very convenient way to refill your pony every couple of dives. You will be burning a couple hundred pounds on each outing and pretty soon your backup air supply is well depleted.
Yes this. Its good to have a transfill whip to keep the bottle topped up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom