difficulty hearing things underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alex_can_dive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
With 7mm hood on, all I could hear is my bubbles coming out of my reg's exhaust tubes.
(My computer was beeping at me and I didn't hear a thing - until I watched my buddy's gopro)

Is this a problem? How do y'all get used to it?

(I consider myself to be extremely noise sensitive - I could detect the softest sound in the room, so it bothers me that I couldn't hear anything underwater)

I can tell where my buddy is just by listening for bubbles. Yes, with a 7mm hood on. Guess you get used to it.

I barely can hear my bubbles, sometimes I don't think I do. But, I'm 67 and taught Band 19 years.....
The silence doesn't bother me. If I hear something (a BOAT....? in Nova Scotia???) then I start to worry.

I can't hear a lot with a hood. On a trip to the Galapagos, I was looking under a ledge at a nudibranch and could not hear the DM furiously shaking his rattle to alert me to the manta ray passing over my head. A friend later said that in the future she would use her reef stick to poke me in the butt on such occasions.

As for audible computer alarms, I don't have them. Never have. I pay attention to my computer throughout the dive, so nothing is going to happen as a surprise, meaning I don't need an alarm.

Once in the Bahamas, I heard a beeping noise, and I wondered if an alarm on my computer had been turned on by mistake. I looked and saw nothing worthy of an alarm. Then I realized everyone else in the group was doing the same thing--looking at their computers to see where those beeps were coming from. Back on the boat, everyone start asking who the Hell had a computer alarm that was creating that distraction. It turned out that none of us did. It was sonar from a nearby submarine base. My point in telling that was that no one in our group had audible computer alarms, and everyone was annoyed to think that someone did.

Although I cannot hear my computer alarms underwater -- with or without a hood -- I find them very useful, because everybody else turns to look at me when they go off and I see them doing that, so I know to look at my computer. [/SARCASM]
Both my wrist computers I have provide a vibration along with (or instead of, which is how I have them set) an audible alarm. That works for me.

I am (high pitch) tone deaf without my hearing aids and even with them I struggle. So I can't hear my computer and am also one that didn't know it made any sound until someone told me and I had to put it up to my ear. Just watch what you are doing at all times.

With 7mm hood on, all I could hear is my bubbles coming out of my reg's exhaust tubes.
(My computer was beeping at me and I didn't hear a thing - until I watched my buddy's gopro)

Is this a problem? How do y'all get used to it?

It's not a problem for me. I turn off the "beeping" for my computer. One of my favorite things about diving is the silence, I don't want to hear anything when I'm diving. Normal life is noisy enough.

Don't ask my opinion on tank bangers.

I found the bubbles to be annoyingly loud, so I got a rebreather.

Reactions: yle
It depends on your computer, also. When I used Suunto computers I rarely ever heard it beep. Now I use an Oceanic and I can easily hear it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom