1/2" Valve Condemned?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spoke with Mark Gresham of PSI today, and basically, he said that the document this comes from is ISO-9000, which is a European standard. The CGA also states basically the same in CGA V-1. So, what does it say? It says three turns by hand, three turns by torque, with "threads" showing at torque. Mark takes this to mean any number over one. i.e. 1+ threads minimum must show, NOT THREE THREADS as the LDS owner claimed. It might be debatable that "threads" means ANY threads (as opposed to "no threads")- i.e. half a thread could be considered "threads" by that definition. Regardless, my particular valve in this particular tank is definitely still serviceable.

We got off on a tangent to discuss teflon tape. Aside from mentioning that it is supposed to be 100% teflon, which I didn't know, and that plumbing tape is not 100%, he gave me the spelled-out, proper taping procedure. Unfortunately, I missed some of the middle of what he said, but I did get that it is to be applied "not exceeding two wraps." I was aware of this and was happy to have it cofirmed by him, but how many times have I seen guys winding, and winding, and winding tape on the threads at the LDS? Too many! All that does is puts the loading at the tips of the threads. The tape is there for lubrication during torqueing, and is not meant to make the seal.

Anyhow, I thought I'd share this. Someday, if I have some spare cash (LOL!) I'd like to take the PSI course. It sounds like it would be right up my alley.

Now, I'll wait and see what the LDS owner can come up with. I think it will make more of an impression on him for him to find out for himself what the regs say, rather than someone telling him. If that doesn't happen, then I'll mention my conversation with Mark. On the other hand, maybe he does have something else that will confirm his statement. I'll keep y'all posted when the time comes.

I spoke with Mark Gresham of PSI today, and basically, he said that the document this comes from is ISO-9000, which is a European standard. The CGA also states basically the same in CGA V-1. So, what does it say? It says three turns by hand, three turns by torque, with "threads" showing at torque. Mark takes this to mean any number over one. i.e. 1+ threads minimum must show, NOT THREE THREADS as the LDS owner claimed. It might be debatable that "threads" means ANY threads (as opposed to "no threads")- i.e. half a thread could be considered "threads" by that definition. Regardless, my particular valve in this particular tank is definitely still serviceable.

We got off on a tangent to discuss teflon tape. Aside from mentioning that it is supposed to be 100% teflon, which I didn't know, and that plumbing tape is not 100%, he gave me the spelled-out, proper taping procedure. Unfortunately, I missed some of the middle of what he said, but I did get that it is to be applied "not exceeding two wraps." I was aware of this and was happy to have it cofirmed by him, but how many times have I seen guys winding, and winding, and winding tape on the threads at the LDS? Too many! All that does is puts the loading at the tips of the threads. The tape is there for lubrication during torqueing, and is not meant to make the seal.

Anyhow, I thought I'd share this. Someday, if I have some spare cash (LOL!) I'd like to take the PSI course. It sounds like it would be right up my alley.

Now, I'll wait and see what the LDS owner can come up with. I think it will make more of an impression on him for him to find out for himself what the regs say, rather than someone telling him. If that doesn't happen, then I'll mention my conversation with Mark. On the other hand, maybe he does have something else that will confirm his statement. I'll keep y'all posted when the time comes.

After all this work, all the dive shop needs to do is create a "shop policy" that says whatever they want. Like people not filling 6351 Alloy tanks at all etc. (Canada anyway) or annual VIP (not required, but "policy" nearly industry wide).

Sounds to me like your tank/valve is fine from a threading point of view, but that does not mean that the shop has to service it. We still do some here, but charge a premium for the extra labour.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom