1 diver bent per day this weekend at Dutch Springs anyone know anything?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lyonsce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When I arrived at DS on Sat at about 11:15 the ambulance was taking 1 diver out and about 10:30 on Sunday the same thing happened. Anyone know any more details? I did hear that both divers were fine (from one of the DMs at DS). Thanks,

Chuck

Do you know that they were bent, or just that they were taken away in ambulances?

Neither diver was bent and both divers are fine. Both have been released from the hospital. A number of people, including the Dutch Springs staff, busted their hump and effected successful rescues.

From what very little I know, these were just accidents. Nothing more or less.

Jeff

I was at Dutch this past weekend but did not witness either event - I happened to be underwater both times. I am glad both divers are fine. anyone care to provide an account? as with any accident, it would be helpful to hear about the details so we can all learn from it. (careful to preserve anonymity naturally.)

I have found it kind of interesting that there has rarely been any reports of incidents from Dutch Springs. I visit the quarry rarely since it’s pretty far for me. I have been to the quarry on ~5 weekends which means 10 dive days. However, on 3/10 days I have witnessed serious accidents, none of which I have seen reported on SB (unlike many of the accidents in other large quarries like DS).

I did not witness the incidents mentioned above but the 3 others the victims were all unconscious after ascent, defib was called for one, and they were all taken in by EMS. I do not know more details for the two but I was part of the rescue for one of the accidents. I wonder how common this is on busy weekends at the quarry. To my knowledge all the 3 victims on my dive days there made it (at least they survived the day of the accident), although the victim whose rescue I was part of made a real effort to expire on the scene. His accident was really serious one, and I am sure many on the scene thought he was not going to pull through at first.

Hope all are well and recovering fast.

the silence is fascinating!

I was involved in the rescue on Saturday morning. While helping my wife, Jill Heinerth, and Evelyn Dudas, gear up for a scooter class I heard calls for help from the end of the dock. A male diver (part of an OW class I was later told) was brought to the surface unconcious and unresponsive. Several instructors, in and out of the water, and myself lifted the victim from the water and immediately began CPR. The guy was very large, heavy and his airway was obstructed by a swollen tongue making rescue breathing a real challenge. (I should say at this point that I am a nurse who works in an ER setting in Florida correctional facilities, and was an Army medic.) After about two minutes of CPR he began sputtering and breathing on his own, had a pulse, but remained unresponsive. The Dutch Springs EMT arrived with a jump bag with O2. We put the victim on oxygen, called an ambulance and packaged him on a backboard for transport.
A few comments:
- There are usually two types of (general public type) people in emergency situations: those who walk away and those who RUN to help. I was very impressed with the quick, professional response by the DS Dive community. It seemed as if we had so many people running to help that we had to manage the rescuers so no one else got hurt trying to assist. (it is hard to do CPR in tanks and BCD-but TWO guys in full dive gear were going at it!) Wow!
-the Dutch EMT was on site and had the victim on O2 in minutes! The Dutch staff called an ambulance to the scene immediately. The coordination of the DS EMT's was amazing.
- "Jim" from Dudas diving outdid himself. He lifted the victim, did CPR, helped package and carry...all while in complete dive gear. I had to force him to let someone else relieve him as we carried the victim to the waiting ambulance!
- a second, unidentified dive instructor jumped up from his class prepping at the waterside and had "hands on" the victim in seconds. This guy and Jim likely saved the diver's life.
- While doing CPR/O2 administration etc...I repeatedly asked "WHO DOES THIS GUY BELONG TO?" An instructor came up to me and told me his name and basic circumstances. When I asked the victim to squeeze my fingers using his name, he weakly responded. At this point things looked optimistic.
-As we put him in the ambulance he was breathing (rather shallow) on his own, had a pulse in the 60's and his color was turning from blue to pink!

I don't know what happened to cause the incident, but I do know that EVERYONE involved did a great service to a fellow diver. The victim was very fortunate that the right people were present at the right time. If I am ever in need of CPR I can only hope that the first 4 people who touch me are dive instructors, EMT's and nurses!
I heard that he recovered in the ER, and was being held for observartion.
WELL DONE to the Dutch Springs Dive Community!

Man...there are a lot of divers jockying for parking spaces up there! Some of you folks may want to come dive the clear blue springs of north Florida! And you can park a few feet from the site...!

Best Regards to all-
Robert McClellan
www.intotheplanet.com
robert@newindigo.com

July 28 at Dutch surfaced to see two ambulances and Sheriff's Office at the Penensulia area ath Dutch. One ambulance lights on the other off. Anyone know what that was all about?

Thanks for the update Robert. We were wondering what happaned out there when we surfaced from our 2nd dive. As it has been mentioned, due to the liabilities involved, no one will talk out there when one these events is taking place. We are very fortunate to have such a responsive EMT out there.

RSL:
July 28 at Dutch surfaced to see two ambulances and Sheriff's Office at the Penensulia area ath Dutch. One ambulance lights on the other off. Anyone know what that was all about?

I was there on Saturday, and the 2 ambulances and Sheriff were there for a bee sting. Some kid over at the water park was stung and didn't have the eppie pen with them. I was very relieved that was it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom