1 in 14 Cave divers die???????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octgal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is this true that 1 in 14 die?? Someone just told me this and i find it very hard to believe. If it is true some of you must have some pretty horrible stories to tell of a buddy not coming back!

Anyone care to share??? Or tell me that this isn't true?

Nonsense. At least until someone proves it to be true. As with any statistic.
Ask that "someone" where his assertion comes from...

3 out of 19 divers are blond. Prove me I'm wrong :)

Eventually all cave divers die...actually, eventually everyone dies. :D

Cave diving is actually very safe when done by properly trained cave divers who follow all the rules. Only one properly trained cave diver who was following all the rules has died in a cave, and that was a freak accident. There was a change in water flow and a cave in occurred taking away his known exit.

All other deaths in underwater caves have happened to divers without adequate training or those not following the rules.

Yes thats what i thought, most of the deaths in cave diving are do to divers not being trained in this area and going beyond their limits. Gives cave diving a bad name because thats all people look at.

That was a line in that movie "The Cave," that was out earlier this year. At least something similar to that. I think the guy heading the expedition said "1 in 14..." And someone else asked what that meant and the answer was, the number of deep cave divers who die.

It was a line in a movie, so now it is, of course, irrefutable fact.

Jeff

I just did my cavern class a few weeks ago, and my instructor really hammered us on this. Here's how he told us is breaks down:

95% of all cave diving deaths were people who were not properly trained in cave diving.

Approx 4.5% were due to a failure to run a continuous guide line.

Of the remaining 0.5%, every death with the exception of one or two, was due to either violating the 1/3 rule, diving deeper than 130', solo diving, or (in two cases) not having enough backup lights.

I realize, before anyone calls me on it, that you don't die when you hit 131', or when you dive alone, or when your light goes off. The point was that if you have proper training, run a continuous line, follow the 1/3 rule for air consumption, stay above 130', dive with a buddy, and have a minimum of three lights (a primary and two backups), and you STILL die, then that's pretty much God just striking you down.

Pretty safe IF you're properly trained and prepared. Of course as we all know, almost 50% of all statistics are made up...

Oh geez!!!!! thats actually funny! I have yet to see the movie, but i know the one you are talking about.

Well people can say what they want and the statistic is whatever it is, won't stop me from seeing some of the most beautiful places on earth, as long as i'm trained and safe....

brianstclair:
I just did my cavern class a few weeks ago, and my instructor really hammered us on this. Here's how he told us is breaks down:

95% of all cave diving deaths were people who were not properly trained in cave diving.

Approx 4.5% were due to a failure to run a continuous guide line.

Of the remaining 0.5%, every death with the exception of one or two, was due to either violating the 1/3 rule, diving deeper than 130', solo diving, or (in two cases) not having enough backup lights.

I realize, before anyone calls me on it, that you don't die when you hit 131', or when you dive alone, or when your light goes off. The point was that if you have proper training, run a continuous line, follow the 1/3 rule for air consumption, stay above 130', dive with a buddy, and have a minimum of three lights (a primary and two backups), and you STILL die, then that's pretty much God just striking you down.

Pretty safe IF you're properly trained and prepared. Of course as we all know, almost 50% of all statistics are made up...

Thanks for the info!!!! much appreciated. I agree I think its safe as long as you are trained and dive your limits

I liked that "God striking you down" LOL. Stay well trained and dive you'll be fine.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom