1 tank over within 36 minutes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adding to the great info above; Cold water also plays a role.

---------- Post added December 11th, 2012 at 09:36 AM ----------

Some of the people said I breath like on the country too fast. Then I tried to breath slowly and to keep the air in me for a while but it didn't work.

You have to practice breathing slowly, it does take a while. I also highly suggest practicing breath holding skills outside of SCUBA, maybe in a pool somewhere or free diving. Really understand the relationship between taking a deep breath and slowly releasing it underwater. You want a steady little stream of bubbles to be coming out of your mouth, pretty much constantly. It doesn't take long to get this trick down if you free dive a lot, but just on SCUBA it might take a while since you don't hold your breath.

I only know Padi at the moment and I would recommend their peak performance buoyancy course for adressing all things trim, weighting,buoyancy control and positioning in the water

Yeah Padi is ok. However, if you really want to improve and unlearn some bad habits, check out the "Extreme Scuba Makeover" course by UTD (Unified Team Diving). It will help you unlearn a lot of bad habits and improve your skills, which in turn improve your consumption rates. You can go to their website to find out more, or search for it on Youtube to look at some highlights of the course.

Hey that is more than double the time of one guy I dove with who blew through his AL80 in 14 minutes. Good job!

I say who cares, just breathe, but try to relax and enjoy your time underwater. The more you dive the less air you will use. Weighting is important as suggested above, and doing weight checks starting when you hit about 900 psi in 15ft of water should get you dialed in. Then take part of a dive and just hang motionless like a fish in a fish tank (Stolen from above as it is great advice). Spend 10 minutes working on controlling depth with your lung volume and you will quickly start figuring out how much air to adjust your BC with. Small amounts and wait a few seconds between puffs as the change takes a few seconds.

Also if you can get a bigger tank get one. You can never have too much air.

Focusing on your breathing as a correction won't get you very far, as you have already learned. Although utilizing an efficient breathing pattern is necessary for getting a tank to last as long as possible, it is not the primary problem for most new divers.

Simply put, you have to breathe as much as you move. Moving generates carbon dioxide, and the body desperately wants to get rid of that, so the more you make, the more you have to breathe. Look at divers whose tanks last a long time -- my guess is that you will see that they look fairly quiet and smooth in the water.

This starts with good buoyancy control. Neutral buoyancy is a state of needing to do nothing. If you are neutral, you are neither rising nor falling, and in theory, you could hang where you are indefinitely without moving at all. When you achieve that state, you only need to move if you decide to go somewhere, and only as much as you need to get there. Achieving neutral buoyancy is much easier if you are properly weighted, and that's why a weight check is taught in your open water class. If you have not actually verified that the weight you are carrying is correct (as opposed to simply being what someone told you to take) you should do that on your next diving opportunity. You can be neutral and overweighted, but that condition is what I'd call tenuous, in that VERY small deviations from your depth will quickly need adjustment of the air in your BC, because there was too much there to begin with.

Many new divers have no idea if they are neutral, because they never stop to check. If you are swimming, you can hide significant deviations from neutral, because your fins can push you up or down constantly as you kick. So the key to figuring out if you are neutral is the same as the key to breathing less -- STOP MOVING. If every time you quit kicking, you sink, then what do you know? You know you are negative, and making up for it with your feet.

One of the most common patterns in new divers is to assume a partially upright position in the water. It's natural -- we live standing on our feet, and too much diving is taught sitting on our knees, so the new diver's instinct is to try to achieve the posture that feels familiar. There's a problem with this, if you think about it -- if your feet are below your body and you kick, where are you pushing yourself? UP! So how do you avoid swimming back to the surface? You keep yourself negative enough that the tendency to sink balances the push upward. What this means, of course, is that you are using a tremendous amount of energy to go nowhere, and all that energy requires more air. When you can assume a horizontal position in the water, then kicking pushes you FORWARD, which is where you want to go. Then you can truly float, and not only do you use less energy in kicking, but because you are now very stable, you are able to relax and your breathing will naturally slow down. Some of this horizontal position can be achieved with body posture. Try to lie flat in the water, with your head back, and lift your knees as though you were trying to do a yoga posture. If arranging your body this way won't allow you to stay horizontal, then you may need to move some of your weight around, or move your tank. If your feet are dropping despite good posture, it may be that your tank is too low on your body, or that you have too much weight on your belt or in your integrated weight pockets, depending on the setup you are using. Some BCs have trim pockets that allow you to move weight up onto your shoulders, or sometimes you can put weights on the cambands, or tie an ankle weight around the tank neck. Of course, you don't want to go doing these things until you have tried posture first, and determined that you cannot stay horizontal.

Once you have learned just to float and relax, the next thing is to slow down. Many new divers swim like crazy. I think part of it is for the same reason one rides a bicycle faster rather than slower; the faster you kick, the more stable you feel. But the truth is that many underwater creatures use camouflage as part of their survival strategy, and the faster you move, the less you see (and the shorter the time you have to see it in!). Reef diving is basically a lazy man's sport, with a lot of floating mixed with a little swimming. A dive is not the water part of a triathlon!

Once you have corrected the things I've listed, you will find that the rapid, shallow, inefficient breathing pattern that you are using as a new diver will have changed into a more relaxed, slower and more efficient one, without you ever having to think specifically about your breathing.

On my first few dives I was good for about 22 minutes per tank. 36 mins is a heck of a lot better than I was doing back then. You should feel good.

Recently in Belize, I was doing 70 to 80 mins and my buddy would get irritated that I was always first in and last out. So the message is that things do improve (and I am not always a great buddy).

Anyway, time in the water, experience, weighting and everything else mentioned here makes for gradual improvements over time. Don't rush it, or feel pressure to last longer, don't push into reserve gas. Just enjoy your 36 minutes and then surface. You will find times naturally grow longer.

As mentioned, a few things will help: breathe like you are sleeping, perfect your buoyancy, do more diving. Buoyancy is a huge factor in using air efficiently.

This is normal, and it has no bearing on the kind of relaxed and efficient diver you will quickly become if you keep diving as regularly as you can. My second dive out of OW I decided to do a wreck at 20m, in quite strong surge, behind a dive guide who was apparently trying to set a record for how many times she could swim laps around the destroyer. I got 24 mins bottom time. I felt so embarrassed to come up so early but now, merely ten months later, I can get a good 60 mins at that depth. And I'm a big guy.

All the advice here is gold. PLEASE don't hold your breath to try and last longer. It doesnt work while making love either. Better to concentrate on having a nice comfortable long exhalation that lasts longer than your inhalation - if you are even thinking about your breath at all. You are much better served concentrating on going SLOW. Just dive at a nice easy pace, especially while getting your buoyancy right. You will see more doing this. Think of it like travel. A lot of tourists take one of those half-day bus tours of Rome where you get to vaguely squint at the Colesseum from the parking lot but mostly spend time in traffic. You wouldn't roller skate through the Louvre at top speed just to see how many corridors you could visit without much noticing the art, but it's amazing how many holiday divers dive like this. Maybe they are on one of those tours.

Practice your buoyancy (and get in the habit of practicing other skills like mask removal on every dive too), but mostly RELAX and be present and in the moment. Take time now and again (maybe make a habit/cue of doing it when you check your SPG) to just consciously relax yourself. Go a little limp in the water. Look around. Be happy you get to see this! And just relax your body and mind. Nervousness can account for air consumption too - we breathe more rapidly when we are on edge a little.

This is all normal and means nothing when it comes to how 'good' a diver you will be even after only 30 dives or so. So don't worry on that account. Dive often and safely and ENJOY it!

Personally, my air consumption improved significantly after I gave up on it and stopped worrying about it. My theory is that the stress from overthinking it as well as the constant fiddling (adjusting position of weights and my body underwater, etc.) actually caused my breathing rate to go up. Of course, all the other advice in this thread is excellent and shouldn't be ignored, but there is probably such a thing as thinking about it too much -- if you've reached that point, try to just relax and dive.

The first thing I have my students learn is to be completely horizontal with their hands folded in front of them. Learn to adjust your depth with only your breathing and to turn with only your fins (no hands). Then, stop working so hard! Learn to move very slowly and methodically.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom