10/11/09 1800 Line Wreck Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubble-head

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The Miss Lindsey made it out to the 1800 Line wreck on Sunday. It was a choppy 1.5 hour ride out. Waves were probably in the 5' range with some swells larger. Many folks on the boat were green by the time we got there and the fish were being fed pretty well. You heart really goes out for people who are sea sick. It's not a fun feeling. I was surprised to see a fair number of students on board.

The wreck is thought to be a WWI Coast Guard cutter (or a freighter) known as the Consoles. I'm not sure if this has ever been confirmed. I tried doing an internet search under that name and nothing conclusive came up. It is believed to be around 380' long and turned upside down. This is a wreck I've never dove prior.

Crew tied into the wreck near the boiler area and ran a line for ease of navigation. I debated running mine where it ended to further explore but we decided to poke around the center of the wreckage. I thought I had found an old bottle at one point but it turned out to be a plastic bottle. Not what I was looking for. Visibility was around 10 feet and the water had a green hue to it. Temperature was 62F at the bottom. Depth was around 80'. There was a good amount of marine life present but the Sand Tigers that are evidently a fixture were not present. One really large eel, the largest many divers had seen, called one of the square fittings in a boiler home. Schools of bait fish and Trigger fish were swimming with us. I did not swim to the stern area of the wreck. On my next visit, I plan to do so since it is the more intact portion of the wreck and the prop is supposed to still be visible.

Luck was on my side on this trip. On my way up the ladder, my dive light snagged one of the rungs and snapped off. Another diver lost his light right after I did and actually found mine looking for his. Unfortunately he did not recover his light.

I look forward to returning to explore the stern section. Wrecks are my favorite thing about diving. Being able to explore new ones I haven't been to is really interesting.

Thanks for the report Patrick. Good to see the boat made it out two days in a row, even if conditions were again marginal. I'll get out at least once more this year (still have another ticket I have to use), so maybe we can meet up.

I'm also thinking about signing up for the Morgan with Pelican on 21 NOV. It is the day before my birthday, and I think I can get my wife to let me go as an early birthday present.

Rob

The Morgan's one of my favorite wrecks. I too hope to get out at least once more this year. Conditions have been marginal but I've been in a lot worse. It just makes us appreciate those summer good vis days better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom