10 Bar Housing for Nex 5n

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

40mm extension port, why do u need it? what actually it can do for this setup ?

Selton, I use the 40mm extension when I use the 30mm Macro lens. That's why I need extension on top of the standard pancake port.

is the camera+housing annoying at all to carry around underwater?

Hi!
I plan to buy a 10bar housing for the nex 5N.
A dealer recommends the following ports :

for macro SEL 30mm 3.5
30 mm extension M77
and flat port P-M77-F67x17

fot the 16mm pancake + VCL-ECF1 Fisheye
12mm extension
dome P-M77x125D
(I do not want a flat port to keep large view angle)

Do you agree with these advices ?
Have you try this configuration, have you others advices for these lenses ?

Thanks

Here's some info I just posted over on the Oly forum as regards the 10Bar housings in general:

We've been selling the 10Bar housings in the US now for several years.

I feel they offer a good value for the cost. They are aluminum, rated to 200', have all controls, double oring construction. They also have interchangeable ports. The housings are as small as possible, and fit the cameras closely. You can buy them with different port configurations, but generally most people buy it with the semi-dome port that works with both the 14-42 or 9-18. They offer both electrical (manual only) or optical strobe sync. The housings come complete with gears, port, extra orings, cleaning kit and small carrying bag. My housing kits also include a "spare parts" kit of control parts and port caps (which aren't standard). They have a 2 year warranty, but have to be serviced in Hong Kong.

They are heavier, and I would say the controls can be "fussy" at times. Knobs are a bit small for divers with gloves. I can't say I like the zoom control, you have to push it in and turn. 10Bar is a good, but small company and can be slow to respond to issues. But I have a good relationship with them and generally can help with communications.

The Nauticam is a much better housing, better controls, design, ergonomics, ports, weight, etc. But it is quite a bit more expensive.

We have the 10-bar Sony NEX-5N housing and the Recsea NEX-5N housing here. The ergonomics and price are quite different on the 2 models, but even the 10-bar housing is quite small, and it is a pretty good value for the price.

The biggest difference is in the rear control wheel, the buttons on the 10-bar housing can be a little difficult to press with gloves, but the Recsea housing has a great rear control wheel that mimics that control wheel on the NEX-5N housing. - Scott

Hi!
I plan to buy a 10bar housing for the nex 5N.
A dealer recommends the following ports :

for macro SEL 30mm 3.5
30 mm extension M77
and flat port P-M77-F67x17

fot the 16mm pancake + VCL-ECF1 Fisheye
12mm extension
dome P-M77x125D
(I do not want a flat port to keep large view angle)

Do you agree with these advices ?
Have you try this configuration, have you others advices for these lenses ?

Thanks

Hi bcaro,

Sorry for being late, I've gone for a diving trip after I got the set of 10Bar 5N housing.

For mine, I got the flat port coming with the housing, so what I need is just a 30mm extension. However, if there is stock at the shop, I would suggestion you to try both 30mm and 40mm extension. I normally put a UV filter as both protection to the lens so it's up to your decision.

I also got the SONY fisheye but have already given up the Dome port. I was told by the sales rep the finishing of the dome is not that nice, more, it's plastic but not glass made. The curve is a bit uneven. Of course, I've not seen that but this is what I was told and to share with here.

One point I notice is that the shutter of the housing. It seems you need to use it for a while to adopt this. It's because the shutter button is on the right side of the housing, not on the top of the right side, so you need to use your finger a bit to feel when it focus. Need to spend a bit time to get used to it. I am not sure if my finger is not sensitive or it's a common issue.

One more issue I notice is the wheel of the back of the camera. I find the wheel of the housing to control it is not that good above water. But after you descend, due to the pressure, it's getting easier. You may also take note of it.

Thanks and enjoy it!

Here's some info I just posted over on the Oly forum as regards the 10Bar housings in general:

We've been selling the 10Bar housings in the US now for several years.

I feel they offer a good value for the cost. They are aluminum, rated to 200', have all controls, double oring construction. They also have interchangeable ports. The housings are as small as possible, and fit the cameras closely. You can buy them with different port configurations, but generally most people buy it with the semi-dome port that works with both the 14-42 or 9-18. They offer both electrical (manual only) or optical strobe sync. The housings come complete with gears, port, extra orings, cleaning kit and small carrying bag. My housing kits also include a "spare parts" kit of control parts and port caps (which aren't standard). They have a 2 year warranty, but have to be serviced in Hong Kong.

They are heavier, and I would say the controls can be "fussy" at times. Knobs are a bit small for divers with gloves. I can't say I like the zoom control, you have to push it in and turn. 10Bar is a good, but small company and can be slow to respond to issues. But I have a good relationship with them and generally can help with communications.

The Nauticam is a much better housing, better controls, design, ergonomics, ports, weight, etc. But it is quite a bit more expensive.

Totally agree with Jack, it really depends on your budget for 10Bar & Nauticam. Since I am living in Hong Kong here, so sending to service is not a big deal to me.

Back
Top Bottom