10 Day Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OmarM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey folks,

I am headed to Curacao with my girlfriend around New Years for 10 days. We are thinking of staying in Boca Sami, and doing most of our diving through Dive Wederfoort. Our diving will include a PADI OW course and rentals for her, an AOW course for myself and since were on a budget, unlimited shore diving with a few 'cant miss' boat dives.

The questions that pop to my head:
1) We're thinking of going the Air BnB route for accommodations. Is this a good path?
2) Best option for airport transfer?
3) Do we need a truck to transport tanks for a variety of shore dives?
4) Any reviews or news of this dive op? I am a fan of what I have seen online but you can never be too careful!
5) What non-diving activities should we add to our list?!
6) Trying to pick a wetsuit for her, were thinking 1mm full or 3mm long sleeve shorty. I will be either diving skin, or 1mm full. We will both also bring 2.5mm vests. Does this sound good?

Thanks a bunch everyone! Also general flaws in the plan are appreciated haha

I am not familiar with Boca Sami or Dive Wonderfoort. Hopefully somebody will be able to help you out there. As far as Air BnB, experiences, I have had nothing but positive experiences. Many of them will offer some type of airport transfer. I have been diving in Curacao using a truck or sedan. I strongly recommend the truck for a couple of reasons. The height of the truck bed is good for gearing up for shore dives. You can put your gear in a mesh bag in the bed of the truck after diving and not worry about trekking sand all over the floorboards or seats. For some of the more remote dive sites i.e. San Juan, a truck may handle the rough/rutted roads better. I don't know your girlfriend's preferences, but even the most robust divers will start to feel the chill after 10 days. Others may disagree with me here, but a 3 mm full body would be the minimum that I would consider. Then again, I use my 5 mm when the water is in the 80's:wink:

It's actually a decent area as a base. A little quieter yet close to things. TBlue Bay Golf resort is immediately to the east - seems south. A couple mins. drive east and you're in the Piscadera Bay resort area. Several resorts, restaurants aand the Pirates Bay each bar. Go west a couple more miles and you'll pass Kokomo Beach, past that Wibrordjus - good dive at the old Habitat Dive resort - it's now Coral Estates something and yet a couple miles more to Cas Abao, a good dive.

East from PBay about 3-4 miles is the north side of the harbor downtown. Also if you plan to cook Centrum Market is between the airport and PBay. Below the white water tank on the main road. Or from your direction on the right past the bay itself.

Many people staying further west stop there first - we did. Thy have cheap used styro containers on top of the freezers,

As far as tanks - most beaches are also dive sites with on site operators (mostly shore dive) We were 7 so we did a combination of hauling tanks or renting on-site there's a few sites like Playa Jeremi that have no facilities.

Some sites charge a small usage fee if you use their facilities - waived if you rent from them. Personally I'd get a few tanks from Wedefort and bring them.

If you dive east of town, there's no facility at Directors Bay and there nay/may not be a shop at the Tugboat - it closes regularly. Good dive for the g/f, easy beach entry and the boat is 17' feet deep, Under the pier around 40'.

Many of the dive sites are on rutted dirt roads so rent something with clearance, A few sites like Lagun are paved to the beach.

I think we drove thru Boca Sami once - IIRC it's a small area - might've seen 1-2 restaurants. Should be very quiet at night, the whole area is. I believe Boca is the name of the area but the town is St. Michel.

The above comments are spot on. My 2 cents

Been diving there over 10 years.. Mind you I a vacationer that likes to dive. I do a full 3mm. I think she would appreciate the knee protection during her OW enclosed training. As far as fun dives I really like the drift from Directors bay to tugboat and the pier as the grand finale. Personally, I always use a DM on my dives. You can rent tanks at Curious2Dive at the roundabout on way to tugboat directors bay.

Enjoy the beautiful Island.

2) Best option for airport transfer?
3) Do we need a truck to transport tanks for a variety of shore dives?
I'd rent atruck r SUV at the airport, it's convenient, Budget was our best deal. Boca Sami could be over $30 one way via cab. I'm not aware of any shared ride options.Things like towns are pretty well marked.

5) What non-diving activities should we add to our list?!
The east side of the harbor is fub to walk around. Park by Rif Fort/Renaissabce mall and walk across the Swinging Bridge. The east side is all the colorful shops you see on promo photos plus a couple museums and historic buildings.

Mambo Beach Blvd is in east willemstad, shops, restaurants, Mambo Beaxh Club.

For hiking you're a few minutes east of Christoffel Park.

There's also the Sea Aquarium (think small Seaworld east across from Lons Dive resort.

Wabt to buy a memorable dive for the g/f? For someting over $200pp. you can do the Dolphin Dive thru Ocran Encounters there, 3 dolphins for 45 mins - they live there. The dive is on a shallow sparse reef 5 mins. from the dock.I think there's some caves somewhere. The Ostrich Farm is good for a short stop, they serve them in the restaurant - tastes like stringy chicken from what a native told me,

For big money there's Substation Curacao -
a deep submersible. I'm sure it's not cheap, dives go 500 to 1000'

Beaches are very nice, Porto Mari is a locals beqch/divesite so crowded on weekends

There's a Curacao dive guide you can buy online. This is a little dated but it show entry pictures: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Curacao, ABC Islands
sites 6&7 are no longer there, it's the old Sunset Waters reort - been closed maybe a decade? A few years ago the beach was washed away, mow it ruins the viz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom