10 Minute Water Tread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Berdman:
When I did mine I was in my wet suit so I just floated the whole time talking with the instructor....... If they let you wear your suit it will be a cakewalk...

I treaded for 3 hours once, wearing a wetsuit. I was also helping push a jon boat around.

The key word is to pace yourself. A combination of floating and treading will generate a little heat without wearing you out. If you have questions about what to expect, call your intructor and they should be able to tell you exactly what you'll be doing and what they expect from you.

beach89:
I sink like a rock with or without full lungs. I just tread water the entire time. It wasn't too bad. My dad told me that when he was first certified in the 70s, you had to tread water for 10(or 15?) minutes while holding your arms all the way out of the water. Now that would have been hard.

It can be done and quite easily if you do exactly as I say, the key word is learning to relax and let go, no fighting the water.
First, arch your back as you lay with arms and legs spread for better weight displacement, do not try to hold your head out of the water, just lay there looking up at the sky {ears submerged} and breath in slow deep breaths, do not exhale completly { keeping some air in your lungs help you float} It won't matter if 20 people are splashing around you or if you are in 3 foot waves, you will float for as long as you want. You will be able to hold your hands and feet out of the water after practice.

Divrdug:
If I remember correctly, in the late 70's, Padi's test also included a mile swim
icon_redface.gif
You are kidding, right? Ha, good one.

I did mine last Oct. (PADI) in just our swimsuits. the time went quick and although I am a sinker I didn't have any troubles with it. My instructors as well as the other students kept on telling jokes so it took your mind off of what you were doing a little bit. I would tread water for a little while and then do the back float and kept rotating

If you are in relatively good shape and know how to swim, treading water for ten minutes is absolutely nothing. Jump in a pool and try it. You'll see how easy it is.

When I decided to get certified, I couldn't swim. I went to a local pool and took lessons to learn to swim and tread. The tread water advice here is good: Relax, don't try to get too much of your body out of the water, and my $0.02, practice a bit before hand to get your fitness and comfort level up and you will do well.

I always thought the hardest part about the float was doing it without an "Adult beverage" in hand!:D

Floating is easy no wetsuit required!

The swim was tough since we were in a short pool (the constant turning was what made it tough) I worked up for it in a HUGE pool at a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale...if I was able to use a pool at least twice the length as what I used, it would have been much easier...

I never had to tread any water, just a few laps around the pool done in a wet suit and some people (not me) wore fins.

I didnt learn how to swim until sometime after I was certified. I figured if I knew how to swim, I wouldn't neccessarily need a tank of air strapped to my back everytime I jumped into the water. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom