10 scuba diving myths - what's your take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba diving is an expensive hobby. I'm grateful to have enjoyed many recreational activities over the years. Scuba diving and owning a horse stand out from all the others in terms of expense. It can be more or less expensive depending on how you do it, but in my life, the costs of it have far exceeded anything else I've done. Still like it, though. :) That's what "saving" is for.

It's risky. The things that can go wrong in diving are daunting, but I have found that on an average per-event basis, basically everything I do has more risk than does an average dive. I have family that frets when I dive, but not when I ride my bicycle in local traffic. Family's getting that one totally wrong.

It's complicated. A few things I thoroughly enjoy, like taking a walk, are not at all complicated. Most everything I've done that I felt passionate about involved learning some new things. When I didn't know them, it felt complicated. Once I got the hang of it, it was fine. If the activity rewards you enough, you just work your way through whatever you have to learn so that you can enjoy it even more.

It's for people who don't have a day job. ??? So it's expensive, but you don't need to be employed to be able to do it? I've been around lots of divers, all of whom were employed. I just don't get this one at all, and have never personally heard any version of it.

It's for men. Like any more demanding physical activity, it does attract more men than women. Men have an easier time with the heavy gear and are probably more likely, as a group, to be attracted to the challenges of it. There are pleny of us female types out there, though, and we're doing just fine.

It takes forever to get certified. Compared to what? In my case, it took one full-time week. In my case, among the new activities that took any effort to learn, diving took the least. As others have said, getting good at it takes a lot longer, but being unleashed without "adult supervision" happens pretty quickly. I can think of lots of classes for things that take longer.

It allows for a very little margin of error (make one mistake, and you're toast). If that was true, probably none of us would be here posting on the thread. What I've seen on any dive trip proves that people can get away with some incredible mistakes and not even know they made them, much less be in immediate jeopardy from them. There are a few basics, of course, that you'd really better get right.

It requires you to be good at swimming. I'm not sure diving has much at all to do with swimming. Personally, I think it's foolish to be around water and not know how to swim. If something goes wrong such that you're in the water but are no longer diving, you're really going to want to know how to swim.

It increases your risk of being attacked by sharks. In that you're where they are, yes. I'll never be bitten by a shark while walking in my neighborhood, for example. I'll probably never be bitten by one while diving either, though.

It damages your ears over time. It certainly could, but a lot of people seem to be fine. This one and the expense strike me as the two most realistic concerns in this list.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

What's your opinion on the following so-called diving misconceptions?

1. Scuba diving is an expensive hobby.
  2. It's risky.
  3. It's complicated.
  4. It's for people who don't have a day job.
  5. It's for men.
  6. It takes forever to get certified.
  7. It allows for a very little margin of error (make one mistake, and you're toast).
  8. It requires you to be good at swimming.
  9. It increases your risk of being attacked by sharks.
  10. It damages your ears over time.

Thanks as always for sharing your thoughts!

1. it is expensive. There's no way around this. if you like diving reefs then you need to go far and wide to experience pristine reefs. If you're a deep diver then the sky is the limit for gear you "need" do buy.
2. subjective. driving is more risky.
3. life is complicated.
4. I need a day job to suppliment my diving.
5. I have just returned from a trip which was probably 40/60 women/men so that is a hopefully changing misconception.
6. ha, it should take longer!
7. incorrect. the vast majority of accidents are set in motion by a chain of event. A dive never gets better when you're under water.
8. disagree, but it helps a lot.
9. more surfers and swimmers are attacked in Australia than divers (and significantly less when you exclude commercial/fisheries divers)
10. I have heard this from numerous sources. if there is conclusive evidence of this being disproved, I would like to see it :)

Thanks very much for sharing, Mustard Dave and everyone!

"Diving is safe as long as you remember it's dangerous" is the most quotable quote yet I've seen on the board.

Hi everyone!

2. It's risky.
  3. It's complicated.
  5. It's for men.
  7. It allows for a very little margin of error (make one mistake, and you're toast).

1. Gear for any hobby can be expensive depending on brand and what you buy.
2. Yes it can be risky.
3. Yes it can be complicated in the beginning. My students are sometimes overwhelmed having to check gauges, gear and buoyancy. Once they get in the proper habits it becomes second nature.
4. I worked in different countries and this is not a job where you just lay back and do nothing but dive. Dive pros just make it look that way.
5. Most of the guys on the boat are men but there are def more of us women out there.
6. You can do an intensive course for OW in 3 days. That's no time at all.
7. There are room for mistakes but it also depends on how good your buddy is.
8. Being a good swimmer helps...a lot!
9. Never seen a shark hurt anyone and my students and clients pay to see these beautiful creatures.
10. Hell yah it does! Its common for instructors to have loose ear drums but it comes with the job.

I'm not trying to help the necro out, but I've thought about this since it was first posted and thought I'd share my views on a couple.

1. Scuba diving is an expensive hobby. Compared to what? Walking? Yes. Video games? Maybe. Current Gen consoles cost $600-$900, not including any games. That's enough to get certified and then some. At a dive shop I used to work at, it'd be cheaper to go the Keys for a week and get certified than to buy an XBox One and a few games. Now, compare it to flying. $6k to get certified, $100+ per hour to fly, required currency (90 day intervals) increases cost, losing currency means paying an instructor for a refresher. Insurance, headsets, the plane itself (if you get one) are all crazy expensive as well. Just the cost of getting certified as a pilot at the most basic level costs more than a week at an all-inclusive, Caribbean resort would cost for two to go to, get certified, and do TONS of dives. Racing anything gets MUCH more expensive, much more quickly. Remote control jets can cost $85000 each, and cost no less than $7000. If you include the cost of transmitter and support equipment, you can breach $15000 with little effort. With a jet, crashing is often a total loss. Shooting competetively is WAY more expensive than diving, just plinking is comparable to diving. Diving, like any hobby, can get as expensive as you let it be. Including the cost of trips almost becomes unfair, because it's likely you'd want to take a trip anyway.
  2. It's risky. Again, compared to what? Sitting on the couch with 7 supervised nurses in an underground, bomb-proof shelter? Okay. Motocross? General Aviation? Driving TO the dive site? Nope. There are inherent risks, but like every other activity worth participating in, proper training and experience can mitigate most of the risk.
  3. It's complicated. No more complicated than you let it be. Following a DM around the Caribbean is extremely simple, and can be very safe assuming you're monitoring a few important issues.
  4. It's for people who don't have a day job. It makes me wish I didn't have a day job :D .....but it also motivates me. With a better day job, I could afford more diving!
  5. It's for men. My wife likes it. A female friend of mine dropped out of college to become an Instructor in the Keys. Men have an easier time lugging the weight around, but it's not a very genderized activity.
  6. It takes forever to get certified. It's very common to get certified over two weekends, or a weekend and a few hours on weeknights.
  7. It allows for a very little margin of error (make one mistake, and you're toast). Back to #2 and #3. Plus, proper conservancy allows for a much larger margin of error. It can be as dangerous as you let it be.
  8. It requires you to be good at swimming. I recommend being a good swimmer, because it increases your comfort in the water. However, one of the best divers in a Discover Scuba Dive course I've seen hated the water and never learned to swim. He said the scuba unit restored his confidence around something that scared him, and he knew proper planning would keep him as safe as he could be. One of the worst I've seen was a water polo player. He said it wasn't natural to breathe under water, so he really had a hard time coping. Also, his finning technique was awful because he was so used to swimming.
  9. It increases your risk of being attacked by sharks. I can't remember the exact statistic, but I heard you're more likely to get struck by lightning while being attacked by a bear than to get attacked by a shark while diving. Of course, this isn't true if you're chumming the water and punching them as they swim by.....but responsible divers shouldn't EVER have to worry about it. Sharks have made me nervous once. I was in a school of baitfish, and a bunch of sand tigers were taking swipes at them. They didn't care about me, I just didn't want to get in their way.
  10. It damages your ears over time. There are plenty of divers that have been doing it several times a week for 40+ years. Proper technique (and maintenance) can completely make this an untrue statement.

Hi everyone!

2. It's risky.
  3. It's complicated.
  5. It's for men.

1 no more so than golf, way less than auto racing. Initial cost are a bit high but so are golf clubs and shoes.
2 All things have risk, with reason comes safety.
3 Diving is a learning process, just like golf. Once you learn it is less complicated.
4 It's takes money, and it's not called ObamaDiving. Income is needed. Everybody I dive with have jobs or pensions.
5 Don't tell the girls that!
6 OW in a week, 2 weekends. or once a week for a while. Hardly forever. How long does it take to get Good at golf?
7 Really, have you ever gone parachuting? lot's of mistakes are made, few divers perish. Good buddy and common sense gos a long way.
8 A swimmer yes, good maybe I don't know. But not great. It's not a speed or even endurance thing
9 So does going to Marine land. Haven't seen any sharks in the St. Lawrence or great lakes.
10 so does rock music and flying and getting old.

1. Getting qualified - even OW - is expensive, although the cost of dives here in the Canaries, at least at my local dive center, is pretty reasonable. Compared to hobbies like reading, painting, hiking etc, I don't know of many that require you to fork out a couple hundred euros for a certificate before you get to really enjoy it.

2. All sports are risky. My philosophy for diving is the same as I had when I worked with horses: never get complacent, always stay calm and never, ever forget what you're dealing with.

3. No, I think it just looks complicated. Setting up the equipment is easy. Setting it up in the right order can be a little more problematic when you're learning, but the way I look at it, having to do it over because I accidentally connected the regulator and inflater hose before fastening the cylinder to the BCD is all good practice for me...

4. I don't understand the thinking behind this one at all. Plenty of dive sites go out on weekends, so anyone with a day job can join in the fun. It also helps pay for dives...

5. Sure, men can have a go too if they want. Why not? :D

6. Nope, don't buy it. The only reason it took me a couple weeks to do a 3 day course was because I got a stinking cold after the first day and had to sit out, then entered the water awkwardly and bruised my eardrum and so had to sit out again until I could get it looked at. I got my mother into scuba when she came to visit me here in the Canaries and she went through it over a long weekend.

7. Back to the complacency thing, I guess. It's always in the back of my mind though, irrational though it may be. That said, as a novice diver I've made plenty of mistakes (mostly of the buoyancy kind; I think I've just about got to grips with it now though) and they didn't have any serious consequences. But I'm the kind of diver who'll add an extra minute onto their safety stop, 'just in case'; my greatest diving fear is being narced, rare as that is...

8. Well, it sort of does. Not for the scuba part itself, but for the 100m sea swim that you need for your OW certification.

9. Sharks, no. Triggerfish, yes :wink:

10. Probably. But I can't think the damage is going to be devastating unless you decide that you're not going to bother with all that silly equalizing business anymore. In which case, the long-term effects on your hearing will probably be the least of your worries.

Allow me to add to what appears to be an emerging consensus.
  1. Scuba diving is an expensive hobby. No more than most, less expensive than many (flying, horses)
  2. It's risky. Diving is actually relatively quite safe.
  3. It's complicated. It may appear so at first, but is no more complicated than the majority of hobbies, and less so than many.
  4. It's for people who don't have a day job. It IS time intensive, but most divers have day jobs and find time to dive.
  5. It's for men. In the past, probably true. No longer the case now. It is fairly gender-neutral.
  6. It takes forever to get certified. Not at all. But, like any physical skill, it may take a long time to become proficient.
  7. It allows for a very little margin of error (make one mistake, and you're toast). Not at all. I see many divers, make many mistakes, and live to tell about it. Probably riskier than golf, chess, and shopping (except in Kenya), though.
  8. It requires you to be good at swimming. Not required but a very good idea if you are serious about diving.
  9. It increases your risk of being attacked by sharks. Not at all, at least according to available data. Surfing (board or body) is more likely to do so.
  10. It damages your ears over time. A debatable point. I know several ENTs - all divers - who believe that repeated submersion in cold water, and particularly in dirty water, will increase the likelihood of ear damage, be it infection, barotrauma, or eustachian tube damage from cold-induced vasoconstriction. The data are not hard. I believe - based on personal experience - that in some / very few cases, there is ear damage over time, but I am an N of 1 clinical trial.
  1. As several have noted, there are certain limitations to absolute statements.

Most of those things are true, to one degree or another. They're not myths.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom