10 year olds and the discover scuba class.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two of my grandchildren (granddaughter 12 and grandson 10 years old) did a discover scuba course at Barefoot Divers in Roatan during a cruise stop. The 10 year old loved it, and I got him certified a year later. Turns out he is a natural. The 12 year old had equalization issues and decided diving was not going to be of interest to her. I am glad that I put them through the discover scuba program before shelling out the money for a Jr. OW cert because the money would have been wasted on my granddaughter.

Age is not a good determining factor for when a youth should learn to dive. Maturity and ease in the environment is. The DSD should help determine that. I did my daughters in our pool before we got her certified. Her boyfriend, 18, is less serious about the environment then she is. He is a good diver but I would not want him going technical for a while longer. So again, age is less important then maturity.

As for strength - Today she is barely over 100# soaking wet. She started at maybe 90#. She has always worn full gear including 80CF tanks, even at 11. She is now with the SCR (Explorer) and a 30CF bailout. Her gear weights about 2/3 or better her weight. I guess strength depends on the person. While I will help load, pack and even get into gear, anyone I dive with is responsible for their gear into and out of the water!

All of my pictures are from 2013 with the exception of the SCR. Many of the bottom pictures are around 100' or so in Saba at age 13. The safety stop picture is after she dove U-352 and Spar (100') coming up again at age 13. She is conducting lite penetration of wrecks and max NDL dives at this point using SCR and adjusting PPO2 regularly with guidance and mentoring from me. My point is that a progression path allows a youth diver to come up to a high level of performance while under proper parental supervision. Her boyfriend is progressing through us also but obviously he is able to dive as he wants now.

And as for a realization of risk, consider that I have dove with adults with significant deco that failed to properly plan or conduct their dive. They blew the mistakes off and not sure how much they learned from them. I have seen this from other adults also. Maturity is the key here.

I do love my avatar picture - She was also 13 at that time. Not sure if she is comfortable though.... :p

Why don't you have her on open circuit scuba? Isn't it safer? Is sounds like she is not doing decompression diving, so why use a rebreather?

My questions may sound critical, but they aren't. I'm just curious to know why you had her follow this route?

Why don't you have her on open circuit scuba? Isn't it safer? Is sounds like she is not doing decompression diving, so why use a rebreather?

My questions may sound critical, but they aren't. I'm just curious to know why you had her follow this route?

I want to make one thing clear about my daughters route, she has chosen it. We, the parents, support it.

She wants to go CCR but at her age, she is not able to go full CCR. She had thought about going SM instead after she won a sidemount rig at DEMA a year ago. We felt it was better to go SCR, get used to the thought processes, terms, checklists, packing, procedures etc and then go CCR in a couple of years. We entered the training phase after we found out that a shop we knew was really interested in youth divers and training them in the SCRs (Thanks Stuart Scuba). I will probably give her my Prism and go to something else in the future. For now, we are able to extend her time and learn the processes and get her into the mindset. She sets up and packs (sorb) all of her SCR gear. I am absolutely not allowed to help her. She will get mad if I even touch it while she is checking it out. Setup night is fun at our house.

I have no problem limiting technical level training to adults only. There is a huge gap in the requirements and risks associated with it when compared to recreational diving, especially if rules, procedures or planning are inadequate or ignored. But this is beyond the scope of this thread.

While she is new on the SCR, she is able to remain within NDL while I will go into deco on my CCR. The unit is overall lighter then OC for the BT she can get. We figured 1 or 2 years on SCR at most and then she would switch to a CCR.

The neat part is that a youth diver at just over 16 can learn, use and control the SCR. For some of her dives, she is 'flying' it manually. She is the one letting us know what is going on and limiting her depth due to MOD, etc.

Safety really is tough. We can look at the limits of OC and know that we can greatly exceed them. She has almost 2 hrs of gas at 100' with SCR even being new. Partly because of the rig, she carries bailout gear and is trained in using it. This adds a lot of benefits. The Explorer has a CO2 monitor, temp stick and is SCR so Otox, CO2 and Hypoxia are low(er) risks. Her end goal is wreck penetration so eventually, she will need to go CCR to get deep and long BT. When I do wreck diving with an OC divesr, they have 1 - 1.5 hrs to figure out their life. I have 4 - 8 hrs to do the same. As long as our gear is working, we have choices. Some aspects of CCR(SCR) are more risky or serious but others are greatly improved. A sadistic comment she has to me is that if I die on mine, she will pull the unit off, leave the body and start CCR diving :). Great kid!

Some of the seriousness of this thread is that parents and youth divers all need to be very open in discussion with regard to risks and the rewards of diving. The fact that a person can die diving is important to be understood by everyone. If it is not understood, that individual has no reason to be in the water. When I started my technical path, I made it very clear to my family that there were risks. When I started my CCR diving, I made it doubly clear. When my daughter wanted to go SCR, my wife and I talked for a long time about the risks. We felt that they would be offset by us being there rather then her on her own deciding what to do.

I guess that my main point is that as long as the youth diver is mature enough, limits set by age are a poor measure of capability. With the proper support, a youth diver can extend far beyond what a parent and others often think. In the end, my 16 year old daughter is driving around in her car, going to school, college (yes she is in college also) and friends houses. I have had no friend's children die diving. I have had friends lose their child to a car accident. Where do we draw the line. I am not in the front seat of her car with her any more but I am with her while she is diving, and have been since she was 11 and should be for another 2 years at least. Childhood is a short progression from full dependence to full independence. I was often independent by age 12 with both of my parents out of the country for weeks at a time and no one watching me. I was driving all over the state of Florida to go diving by the time I turned 16. I personally have no issue letting my child extend as far as she is willing to for her progression to full independence. I have never aged her and always have both included her on decision making and also let her make her own choices.

@packrat12
Has your daughter decided on a major at college? My 17 year old looked at Embry Riddle and F.I.T. For engineering, and would like to dive more if she is accepted at a Florida college. I believe there is a link between getting kids into diving and the Science and engineering options they might choose for careers. She likes the night dives and wrecks, but we are far from the rebreathers necessary to do wreck penetration without bubble-bombs silting up the visibility.

Sounds like an incredible young lady. If she has the discipline and intelligence and responsibility to engage in that kind of activity at such a young age, her future sounds very bright!

Every person is different, I have two of my kids that are certified both at 10, my next daughter in line will be 10 soon but may have her wait just cause she is a bean pole and I am not sure if she will be able to handle it yet....Though I am thinking of a discover scuba for her this summer to see. I would go for it if I were you.

I have had my kids snorkling from a very early age and have them swim around the pool just snorkle no mask. I also have them in the pool breating off a regulator in water they can stand it. So they are exposed to it too.

I will do Discovers with 10 yr olds in the pool only and only on a one to one ratio. That is after I have determined they understand what is going on. Standards did allow two to one with the agency I do them through until the Tuvell incident/case. Then it changed to one to one. I do this with all junior divers. Kids in a Discover are one to one pool only.
I am not permitted to do discovers or Intro's as we call them in open water. Nor would I.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom