100 cu ft. tank - need more or less weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

webbah

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My newbie brain is having trouble processing this one. I've requested a 100 cu ft. tank for a boat dive while on Maui to see what it's like since I'm a heavy breather and don't want to be the first one low on air. My question is - will I need an extra pound or so on my weight belt or just the opposite - a pound or two less?

Thanks!

webbah:
My newbie brain is having trouble processing this one. I've requested a 100 cu ft. tank for a boat dive while on Maui to see what it's like since I'm a heavy breather and don't want to be the first one low on air. My question is - will I need an extra pound or so on my weight belt or just the opposite - a pound or two less?

Thanks!
Depends on what kind of 100 cu ft tank and what you want to compare it against.

Sorry - it's an Al100 vs an Al80 which is what I'm used to diving.

Yes you well need to add a couple of lbs. Even thaw the tank well be heaver the bounce of the tank with 500 or less air is more. 8 lbs for a 100 verses 4 to 5 for a 80. A steel tank you would take up to 4 lb off.

I have both but only dive the steel any more.
I looked at the chart and I might be wrong. With some tanks.

Well the link that JeffG posted states that an empty Luxfer 80 is +4.4 and an empty 100 is +3.1 i.e. when empty the 100 is 1.3 pounds less bouyant (heavier)

So you could take off 1 pound. or just leave it the same as 1 pound is neither here nor there

Skeeter1097:
Yes you well need to add a couple of lbs. Even thaw the tank well be heaver the bounce of the tank with 500 or less air is more. 8 lbs for a 100 verses 4 to 5 for a 80. A steel tank you would take up to 4 lb off.
That is not necessarily true. You have to look at the empty weight of the two tanks in question and adjust by that amount. There are pairs of AL80/AL100 that have the same buoyancy empty. Look at the Luxfers in that chart. They differ by only about a pound.

I dive both tanks, with the 100's my preference. if you weight yourself for a Luxfer 80, you will be slightly overweighted with a Luxfer 100. Not enough to be concerned about for a simple 2 tank trip. if you buy some & dive them regularly you'll want to drop a lb or 2 of lead.

Back
Top Bottom