100 hp or 120 hp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hud

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,
I'm kind of new to diving and getting into spearfishing in the Gulf. I have been diving with alm 80. My question is should I buy a 100 hp or 120 hp. I'm 6'2 and used 24 pounds of weight. Looking for som advice before I spend $300 to $400. Thanks Hud

Maybe stick to the 80 for now. If you're new to diving and spearing, it's probably best you keep to shallow dives to begin with. Around 60 feet of so. If you really like it, and plan on continuing and learning, then look at investing in bigger tanks, but also training for deeper diving. Spearing deep can be dangerous. Things start to happen fast and you're breathing hard and fast resulting in amplified narcosis. Take it slow and easy and find some experienced spearos for buddies.

I agree that the Al80 is a good idea for a while. If, after a couple dozen dives, you still think you are limited by air more than No-Deco time, then it may be worth thinking about. As Hank49 said it's good to find some experienced buddies. They may even have some other tank sizes you can try. That way you can see how good the trim is with a few different sizes before making a decision.

Hello,
I'm kind of new to diving and getting into spearfishing in the Gulf. I have been diving with alm 80. My question is should I buy a 100 hp or 120 hp. I'm 6'2 and used 24 pounds of weight. Looking for som advice before I spend $300 to $400. Thanks Hud

I think HP100s are one of the best sport diving tanks ever made. The 100 would be shorter than your al 80 and hold more gas. I dont like the 120s as they are a little too long for me.

Most divers find that the AL80's work fine for the majority of dives. I define *fine* as you can hit your NDL, achieve max bottom time, and finish the dive.

When I dive deep on Nitrox 90'+, I like the 100's. The HP 100 have a nice foot print.

I suppose it depends on what type of diving you are doing. You may want to wait if you are a new diver to figure out your SAC rate. IMO 120's are overkill for most divers.

I'd go with a 130 long before I chose a 120.

And an HP 100 is great, especially when compared with an AL 80.

I second the 130HP's. The 100HP is a great tank too. Never used a 120HP. Never had a problem with to much air. Oh and welcome to the board!

Maybe stick to the 80 for now. If you're new to diving and spearing, it's probably best you keep to shallow dives to begin with. Around 60 feet of so. If you really like it, and plan on continuing and learning, then look at investing in bigger tanks, but also training for deeper diving. Spearing deep can be dangerous. Things start to happen fast and you're breathing hard and fast resulting in amplified narcosis. Take it slow and easy and find some experienced spearos for buddies.

Thanks for the info. I have been diving in 50 foot. I Want to go with a heavier tank for less weight on my bc and be able to stay down longer or make 2 dives with one tank. I will take it slow, from what I seen so far it's adventerous and alot of fun.

I could easily get two 60 minute dives off of an HP100 at 50' in tropical water. Especially if it had a 3500psi fill. EASILY! :D That would be a good reason to get one.

IMO the HP 100 is a very good choice for any diver. It has great buoyancy characteristics, a nice foot print, and is negative when empty. What is not to like, well except expense.

A larger steel tank should be carefully considered. They are heavy, and one must weight NDL's with size. If you are doing deco, I would still say two HP100's would make a great doubles setup, and two 130's, well.. Men, men, men, men, Men! If you need 260CF of gas, you need that gas. However a LOT of deco divers are on stage bottles and NOT their primary tanks on the majority of the dive..... your millage may vary.

Back
Top Bottom