100% new to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

risius01

Reaction score
hello all my name is Scott. i am new to diving. as in ive never been. i have always wanted to get into diving. thing is i live in Iowa. i would like to find a place to get my class room work and pool work out the way in Iowa. unless it would be better to travel for all of it? after that then travel to do open water dives. hope to find some good guidance from this forum as in were to go and the steps to take.

So, I can't speak to all the possibilities/option.... I know there are many different agencies.
However, PADI, in my opinion has a good e-learning option. Google PADI. Check out the e-learning for open water diving certification. You will still need pool and open water dives. But, the e-learning process will accelerate everything.

You should be able to complete everything, at a reputable center, in a weekend. Some pointers:
1. if do e-learning, you get access to the course for 12 months. so go through it a few times to get real familiar.... and especially re-review before whatever weekend you are going to do your certifying training/dives/etc....
2. However you choose to do your training, look for reputable training center that has their own boats. There are plenty that have good charter contracts.... and I am not knocking them. But, the best situation is a training center that owns their own boat/s cause they can adapt the schedule and really customize according to the divers.
3. Where ever you go for your certifying training, make sure the cost they quote is COMPLETE. That is, no hidden additional fees. You want the all included costs. You do not want to fly somewhere, pay your course costs... then find out there is a boat surcharge or certification filing fee or some other "hidden cost".
4. I have been biased to Florida for over 30 years.

All that said, I love diving and encourage anyone and everyone to consider it. It is definitely do-able and really a good thing to share with a friend, significant other, child or even a stranger you meet on the boat to buddy dive!

Welcome aboard Scott.

I don't mean to say that one agency is better than another but SSI also has a similar website, e-learning program, and shop finder on their site. I have no clue which is closer to you but you might want to check out both sites for local shops and talk to them. The instructor is more important that the agency. I can't speak for any other agency other than SSI, as I trained under 2 of their shops.

Got to be some Iowa divers here, I suggest diving local if you want to dive alot. Warm water diving will limit your diving due to need to travel. I just googled, IOWA scuba and hit map and saw alot of shops pop up. Bound to be a shop close to you. Call them or stop in and talk to them and tell them what you are wanting to do, I am sure they will help you out.

I have heard good things about SSI too.... I just have no experience.
I also encourage looking at your local dive shops for your local pool training, etc... But, again, I am biased towards open water ocean dives in warmer temps :wink:

Welcome to SB. I would recomend getting all your training done locally (Classroom/pool and OW checkout dives) this way when your on vacation you can relax and dive. If your looking for a shop o train with just google scuba shops and put in your zipcode.

Here is some listings for shops in your state

Iowa Dive Shops | Local Scuba Diving.com

I also encourage looking at your local dive shops for your local pool training, etc... But, again, I am biased towards open water ocean dives in warmer temps :wink:

It's certainly easier. My instructor preaches that if you can dive in a cold, low vis quarry, the rest is a piece of cake. I'll have to say that I agree. A 50' dive in my local quarry is more difficult and dangerous than a 100' Caribbean dive IMO.

thanks for all the good input. it does sound smart to do it all local. i didnt think about diving in a rock quarry. got lots of them by me. ill do a search on my local shops and get there input. hope that gets me goin the right way

goin to call the shop i found tomorrow and see what they have to tell me

I wouldn't just call one shop and go with it unless some people specifically refered you there. Take the closest three shops to you and talk to yhem about what you want to do. Every shop is different each will train a little different, also some might offer better prices like with everything else shop around to see which shop willl be best fit for you, who is going to offer and make you feel good about going there and doiung the course with them.

Back
Top Bottom