100% oxygen regulator??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like we are being taken to the cleaners again over here.:D To boot the guy who did my secondary reg charged me $28 for the mouthpiece because it was "special comfort bite", and I researched it on the internet and found it to be about $8 normally.

Its very frustrating to see the rest of the world have one standard and we have our tanks Vis/hydro tested yearly. I don't see that we have fewer accidents here because of this higher test standard, just more out of pocket for the consumer.

I have no issue with oxygen cleaning on some sort of a basis, but here it seems we make a cottage industry out of it. To compare the metal cutting industry where its pure oxygen as to our industry of 21-100% I see no step up in serious accidents in the metal cutting industry given they have no enforced "oxygen cleaning regime"

I think the proof is in the pudding.

And I appreciate your response regarding charging additional costs for oxygen cleaning when in fact the actual difference between a normal service and an oxygen service is virtually non. That's the difference between a good and fair LDS and a price gouging one. To say one has to do it to stay in business, is like saying a tyre company has to change your tyres every service when they rotate the tyres or they go broke.

Will be using these regs with air aswell. Have seen an oceanic mini spg that says it is 100% oxygen compatible but haven't found nothing from hollis? I normally get my local dive shop owner to service my regs for around $80 aud. will ask him if there's any difference, he's pretty trustworthy and charges me nearly half of what the major dive shops tried to charge me as they normally send the regs away then take there cut. Thanks

HP spool o-rings need to be O2 compatible.

I could be a smart ass and say the spool is separate from the gauge but I expect to see you at DEMA:wink:. But you are correct and again I only use Viton o rings.

---------- Post added October 15th, 2013 at 06:31 PM ----------

Will be using these regs with air aswell. Have seen an oceanic mini spg that says it is 100% oxygen compatible but haven't found nothing from hollis? I normally get my local dive shop owner to service my regs for around $80 aud. will ask him if there's any difference, he's pretty trustworthy and charges me nearly half of what the major dive shops tried to charge me as they normally send the regs away then take there cut. Thanks
Unless you are using this as a deco reg you don't even need it to be O2 clean. As long as you are not using greater than 40%, O2 will never touch the reg unless you make a mistake and put it on a deco bottle. Or the shop screws up royally. You do not need an O2 clean reg for recreational nitrox. Don't let the shop BS you that you do!

If all you are using this for is recreational nitrox and air spending extra for O2 cleaning is not worth it. If they charge the same for service fine. But otherwise it is not necessary. All regs and gauges are good to 40% out of the box now. Anyone that says you need special cleaning is blowing smoke up your arse.

Back
Top Bottom