100' seemed hard to breathe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, at 100' you were probably somewhat narc'd. If you ascend a little, that usually takes care of that.

Also, what doesn't get as much mention, as you get deeper, your reg is feeding you air at higher and higher pressures. As the air gets more dense, it becomes a little harder to draw into your lungs. With today's high-quality regulators, usually the regulator isn't the problem, though some do breathe harder as you go deeper. But usually what gets interpreted as a regulator issue, is really just the fact that the air you are breathing is 5 times more dense that you usually breathe.

I just think it was indigestion from eating so close to diving, coupled with the stresses I was going through down there. It literally scared the bleep out of me and I'd rather it come out my reg then into my wetsuit :rofl3:

I didn't like myself noticing how heavy I was breathing than I started to screw with that involuntary action and made things worse. It already felt like another planet already, should I be even more worried for REALLY NARRCED ? :confused:

Just go slow and stay in your comfort zone. Make bounce dives to 100' stay a minute or two go back up some. You maybe surprised how soon it feels "normal" at depth. Don't do anything that scares the bleep outa ya! Didn't your mother tell you not to go in the water too soon after you eat?:D

It already felt like another planet already, should I be even more worried for REALLY NARRCED ? :confused:
don't worry about it, because it is not something to accomplish. As you go deep more you will learn how to manage it and get use to it. it is like walking one step at a time. A nutty commercial buddy once told me "functioning NARKED is an acquired skill, much like drunk driving." Then again this is the guy that has used AIR as a bottom mix at 262fsw...

I think the only reason for that to be the case is because the game that once lived in the shallower water got "harvested". Lobsters go where they can get a decent meal ... and that doesn't have anything to do with depth. And I routinely see wolf eels at less than 50 fsw ... our most popular site for wolf eels here is a wall that bottoms out at about 90 fsw, and the wolfies are usually denning along the top of it.
Agreed harvesting is an issue. As for wolf eels you live in the PNW where it's cold. I live in SoCal "not so cold..." I will correct my self, around here It is rare to see one above 100fsw.

Having resisted the compulsion to return to a more comfortable depth, you saved yourself the added anxiety (and minor embarrassment) of having to repeat the dive after having allowed your psyche to overcome your training simply because of cold water and minor narcosis. Good for you!

Each deep dive will get progressively more comfortable until it really is nothing more than a change in temp, a touch of narcosis, and faster usage of gas for you. Having said this, if you had experienced difficulties of any kind during your dive I would recommend aborting it considering your anxiety level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom