$100 USB Cables??? Shame on You!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu:
It's complete BS if you ask me.........

Sure is! Seems like all of the computers come with the software, but they want you to fork over another $75 - $100 for the cable to download the data.

It really irritates me as well. And they say the oil companies are gougin us!
03.gif

Well, it's kinda like the old free transmission inspection scam that used to be played.

A certain national chain transmission repair company would bring your vehicle in, take the transmission out, tear it down and inspect it.

Well, you got your free transmission inspection, but what they didn't tell ya was that you would have to pay $500 for them to put it back together and put it back in your car.

If they tried to sell just the software package, most divers would probably opt out on it because, for most divers, analyzing the dive later on is just not that important. But the dive computer companies rely upon the rice-in-the-coconut trick. You have the software there and your curiosity demands that you buy the cable to see what the software will do.

Often times it's prudent to load the software, look at the sample data given and then determine if one really wants to invest in a $100 cable that will provide data downloading to what can be described as, at best, mediocre software.

the K

In your example, if you buy a printer, then you must have a cable to use it. If you buy a Dive Computer, there is no requirement that you have a cable to use it, it's a feature that you can add on to it.

So buy a Computer that has a IR port instead, then you won't need a cable to download your data. You'll just need to buy a IR port, but those are dirt cheap.

Personally, I find it disturbing that dive computer makers feel the software and hardware to download their product to a PC is an "accessory" rather than an integral part of the product. I was not about to buy the separate software and "data mouse" that SP rquires. Fortunately a dive friend loaned me his and then disappeared (I think his buddy stabbed him in the leg when the two of them saw a great white while diving).

Adgie:
But for some reason, the makers of the Suunto Cobra can't seem to cover the cost of the USB cable with their $600-$800 Cobra! Are the margins really that low?

Adrian, I paid the $100 too, actually did get a discount from my LDS (and paid less). You're being very generous putting the cost at $20.

Maybe things have changed since I bought mine, but you're not even going to get a UBS cable, its serial. If you have a newer computer without a serial port, you'll have to spend another $10 to get a serial-to-USB adapter. :11:

I think the software is essentially worthless anyway so the high price of the cable just keeps people from wasting any more money. If it were $19.95 I still would feel ripped off.

scubamickey:
Mine only cost $80 at my LDS. You should have shopped around.

It's the principle that seems unfair be it $80 or $100. Given the price of the cable manufacturing, it should not be so expensive.

rottielover:
software is free download from the website, it's the cable that costs... I also had to pony up the bucks :(
This may be true, but the software ain't no good without the cable.

dlndavid:
This may be true, but the software ain't no good without the cable.

The software ain't no good even with the cable. Pretty basic stuff. I agree with Bill above. If companies were really interested in "safety first," the cable and software would be an integral part of the original package and much cheaper, thus allowing divers to examine profiles more specifically. I don't urge one to buy the cable at any price until the software is seriously improved. JMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom