$100 USB Cables??? Shame on You!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This dinosaur still doesn't understand why you would want to download all that crap anyway. Essential info on O2 and N loading is carried to subsequent dives without "downloading". I would not want to pay an extra penny for all that BS.

ianr33:
Instead of spending $100 on a cable why not spend $120 on a Sensus Pro
https://secure.reefnet.ca/products/sensus/

Could not be happier with mine

That is a sweet gizmo. I also like their open source policy which lets anyone develop their own custom app. You know, I'm pretty sure I had an econ class that talked about supply and demand taking care of issues like this. What they don't teach you in school is the anti-trust behavior of large companies to squash any competitors. I don't think this is in the best interest of the consumer. And I don't like what I've seen happening with some companies.

I consider the download cable very important. If I have a dive that I need to review, maybe I had a sudden accent that I need to analyze. Maybe I need to send the profile to DAN to determine how serious the risk of DCS is. Isn't this important enough to make available to everyone by default?

I don't mind paying for gadgets and accessories or even for the third snorkle that got sacrificed to the surf. But its the piece-meal sale of what should be considered a complete package that is nuts.

Old economics says "the primary resonsibility of a company is to its shareholders". New economics is teaching us that the customers are an integral part of the corporate ecosystem. Hello???? Is this thing on?

-Adrian

awap:
This dinosaur still doesn't understand why you would want to download all that crap anyway. Essential info on O2 and N loading is carried to subsequent dives without "downloading.
I like to look at my actual profile. I get to see how closely I followed the plan. I can look for things that I need to improve on (such as ascent rate). It also automatically fills in my digital log book - which eventually will be my primary method of keeping a long-term log of my dives (after say the first 100 or so). I'm sure there are other reasons as well (such as being able to provied data to DAN, etc.)

Maybe the dive computer with download is not an essential to diving, but neither is the snorkel or the compass or BC. Sea Hunt didn't wear a BC, he might have had a compass! OK, OK but the point is that it is FUN to download the information and view on the PC/MAC. It is not at all baloney since we/I use download banking, direct deposit, online bill payment. It is part of the fun of this generation and technology. When I am not diving or working it seems I am on this board and if I had a USB cable for my Atmos 2 I would also be looking at my previous dives and thinking about my next ones.

Anyway, I agree, they want too much for what should be part of a package. I like the Economics angle as taught but in practice, the law of supply and demand doesn't carry the weight it used to. We are more demand regardless of supply. Gas prices prove that, we pay what they charge and they know it!

Happy diving all!

awap:
This dinosaur still doesn't understand why you would want to download all that crap anyway. Essential info on O2 and N loading is carried to subsequent dives without "downloading". I would not want to pay an extra penny for all that BS.

I believe that many divers ascend too quickly, especially in the last 15-20 feet. I noticed that I was the slowest one in my group on my last trip with the exception of the DM. When I got home I downloaded my dive profile and found that I was still violating the computer's ascent rate in a few spots. I was surprised! I now ascend even more slowly. Visual proof hits home. That's why I like downloading my dives. Not to mention, it's a great way to log. I just wish the softwear were a little better.

scubadobadoo:
I believe that many divers ascend too quickly, especially in the last 15-20 feet...
...Visual proof hits home. That's why I like downloading my dives...

I feel exactly the same way. I just manually extracted data from a recent dive and noticed a few trouble spots. Why don't they teach profile review in OW class. It should be mandatory for new divers to review every dive profile. Great way to stop bad habits from forming.

-Adrian

I do think the cable should be included, but the thing I find most annoying is that Suunto's product info lists "PC interface" as a feature. It does not mention anyplace I can see that you need to buy something additional to be able to use it. Not even an asterisk with a little note at the bottom. I wonder how many people aren't aware of this when they buy it. I wonder if someone could call them on it.

Tigern:
same with the Aladin prime I have except mine is Ird. It costs 75-80 at the LDS but includes software. Thing is..the computer comes with the software so I just went to the local comp store and bought an Ird adapter and viola...we have connectivity :wink:

same thing I did. Saved a bundle! Before I bought a new puter, I looked into most of the others, and that crappy little cable costing all that extra ching with them really put me off.

Every time I take my laptop with me underwater when I dive (trying to check my profile) it doesn't seem to want to work! Bad USB cable?

Just an FYI, if you raise your computer from a lower position to a higher position quickly, it will show you having a high ascent rate. So say your computer is on a console hanging down, you reach for it, bring it up to see it, you just exceeded the computers ascent rate. So you may be seeing that in your profile too, just an FYI.

scubadobadoo:
I believe that many divers ascend too quickly, especially in the last 15-20 feet. I noticed that I was the slowest one in my group on my last trip with the exception of the DM. When I got home I downloaded my dive profile and found that I was still violating the computer's ascent rate in a few spots. I was surprised! I now ascend even more slowly. Visual proof hits home. That's why I like downloading my dives. Not to mention, it's a great way to log. I just wish the softwear were a little better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom