1000 Lb lift bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have several moorings to retrieve from a depth of up to 30 ft. They range in weight up to 800 Lbs. I am looking at Carter vs Prolift enclosed. Any input would be appreciated.

If you are in a tidal area it is just easier to put a frame on a 12' rowboat and crank it down at low tide. As the tide comes it it should pull the morings out. Make sure that you have equal pull on both sides of the boat so it doesn't flip. You can speed it up some by jetting the mud off of the top of the anchor.

But whatever you do make sure that you keep to the side of the moring as you put any lift on it especialy a bag tied in down low to the bottom. When the suction breaks the anchor is headed up real fast and can break your jaw if you are in the way.

I have found that I would rather use 2 or 3 or 4 bags to do a lift than a single large bag. the biggest issue though is the mud and suction. I have heard of and seen several barrels and other lifting devices leave the water with great force when used on items that are stuck in the muck. be careful.

I'm a carter guy.

Hi there, Tim Little of TDL Underwater Liftbag Supply. My wife Debra and I can help with new and used liftbags. Check us out at "awesomepricedliftbags.com"!

Have you ever salvaged anything like this before?
There are many dangers in doing something like this.

Along with the load suddenly coming unstuck, when it hits the surface the air could escape from the bag and the load can come crashing down on you. Remember that as the load rises the air in the bag will expand and it could run away from you.

Just because the load weighs 800 lbs does not mean you will need 800 lbs to lift it. It will displace water just like everything else.

As not funny as a dive accident like that would be... i just have this picture in my mind of the mooring shooting towards the surface... with a little background music.. "leaving, on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again..."

lol

Have you ever salvaged anything like this before?
There are many dangers in doing something like this.

Along with the load suddenly coming unstuck, when it hits the surface the air could escape from the bag and the load can come crashing down on you. Remember that as the load rises the air in the bag will expand and it could run away from you.

Just because the load weighs 800 lbs does not mean you will need 800 lbs to lift it. It will displace water just like everything else.

Old thread I know. But...........if it weighs 800 lbs, you want 800 lbs of lift or a bit more. When it hits the surface it will weigh 800 lbs again. It is best to cradle the object on both sides (using two closed bags and a manifold system to add air) than to use a single point open bottom bag from the top. A 1000 lb open bottom bag is about 7' tall plus the attachment point. You will still have to get the object to the surface using this type bag as it will dangle below.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom