100m air dive & workup, PG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was wondering, if after experiencing 100m on air do you feel less impaired at say 60m than you did when you began doing these deep air dives?

Short answer is no. It varies from day to day, and if I take a break from diving whatever "acclimatization" - for wont of a better word - I did have wears off.

Having said that, I can now do a 45-55m dive as the first one of a trip & feel ok - whereas my first ever 43m dive at Fish Bowl I was very narced (euphoric, paranoid, impaired mental function).

Do you feel you have built up a tolerance to deep air or just learned to deal with the impairment?

As above, repetitive deep diving definitely has some effect, particularly in the short term - but I believe it's more learning to be aware of/dealing with impairment than reducing it, and I don't think there's much you can do about the cognitive impairment. You can certainly reduce some of the symptoms though which is helpful IMO.

OTOH some people just seem to have low tolerances, I have seen people have massive memory loss at 50 & go totally unresponsive at 65.

Short answer is no. It varies from day to day, and if I take a break from diving whatever "acclimatization" - for wont of a better word - I did have wears off.

Having said that, I can now do a 45-55m dive as the first one of a trip & feel ok - whereas my first ever 43m dive at Fish Bowl I was very narced (euphoric, paranoid, impaired mental function).

As above, repetitive deep diving definitely has some effect, particularly in the short term - but I believe it's more learning to be aware of/dealing with impairment than reducing it, and I don't think there's much you can do about the cognitive impairment. You can certainly reduce some of the symptoms though which is helpful IMO.

OTOH some people just seem to have low tolerances, I have seen people have massive memory loss at 50 & go totally unresponsive at 65.

I have certainly experienced differences from one dive to the next.
With the current supply crisis of helium people may start to recalibrate their depth tolerance.

I remain blissfully unaware of a helium crisis :) although I do sympathise with those diving in an environment that requires it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom