10w 18w 21w HID smack down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver:
Cool. I now have a third item for my wish list. Well, okay, third for my 'likely to happen' wish list.

Here's a question: I love how small the Halcyon 10w HIDs are; what is the cheapest 10w I could get that is as small as the Halcyon one?

Probably the DiveRite 10W.

So would say that the EKPP or the new halcyon reflector is a worthwhile upgrade for the cost? The reason i ask is that i just picked up a new helios 9 18w with the new style robotic cord and strain relief but has the #3 reflector. It was too good of a deal to pass up even with the old style reflector.

As I said..even the 10w HIDs did a fine job underwater at night and were not washed out by the 18w and 21w lights... it was only when we pointed them at the highrise condo across the way that the difference was apparent.

I've used my 21w/ EKPP with a buddy using an 19w/ #3 and couldn't tell any difference.

(Day time high ambient light in clear water there is a definite difference in the 18w or 21w compared to the 10w.)

Uncle Pug:
During our night dives I really haven't been able to tell much of a difference between the 18w and the 21w and even the 10w HIDs seem just as bright though the beam is not as large and doesn't penetrate as far.

However last night while swimming out to our drop the four of us pointed our lights at the building across the street. The 10w lights barely showed up and were washed out by the 18w. The 21w washed out the 18w.

Then we realized that if we didn't quit shining our lights on the building the residents would probably call the police.

What was interesting about this little experiment was that close to 200 yards away (above water) the 10 watt lights barely showd up - underwater it was different. The two 10W lights in this case were both Terkels. Their beam is very crisp and illuminated everything very nicely - perhaps as well as the 21 and 18W lights. Th diameter of the beam was smaller and more precision like. What I also noticed was that there was less back scatter coming off of the 10W lights.

Don't get me wrong I love the Sandroff fish fryer and it will be my next light.

I've used my 21w/ EKPP with a buddy using an 19w/ #3 and couldn't tell any difference.

Thats what i was wondering. I dont think i will get in any big hurry to upgrade the reflector just yet to the new style halcyon or the EKPP. Halcyon's site does show a tighter focus with their new reflector http://halcyon.net/lights/index.shtml Eventually i will upgrade as the tighter focus would be nice for daylight dives.

I sold my newer 10w to help pay for the 18w. I guess i caught a serious case of light envy or something. One thing i do appreciate about the 10w was the extremely compact lighthead and somewhat smaller cannister. My 10w produced plenty of light for night dives but didn't produce quite the beam of the 18w during daylight hours.

I've been happy with my 10w Terkel so far - it's served me well and Terkel himself has been fantastic as far as support is concerned.... but the fish fryer will be a whole new experience.

Dryglove:
So would say that the EKPP or the new halcyon reflector is a worthwhile upgrade for the cost?
I recently upgraded my 18W Halcyon with the EKPP reflector. One of the reasons was I wanted the longer shroud to help protect the bulb. I don't notice a difference in brightness, but I do get a bit tighter focus and the beam seems "cleaner" with less of a halo around it. Might just be the placebo effect to justify the 110 bucks, though :wink:

Back
Top Bottom