10W LED light with Delrin canister

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i hawe a profi 300v
Distance between centers
300 mm
Center height
90 mm
Swing over bed
180 mm
Spindle bore
20 mm
Taper of spindle bore
MT 3
Speed range, stepless 50 - 2500 rpm
Longitudinal feed (3) 0,083 - 0,159 mm/r
Metric thread (14) 0,3 - 3 mm
Inch thread
(10) 10 - 44 Gg/1“
Travel of tailstock sleeve 60 mm
Taper of tailstock sleeve
MT 2
Motor power output S1 100%
0,45 kW / 230 V

Motor power input S6 40% 0,60 kW / 230 V
Machine dimension (W x D x H) 740 x 390 x 370 mm
Weight approx. 65 kg

can i buy any steady rest for it, or do i need one exaxtly for this lathe? and where could i get steady rests that are big enough for an canister ca3"

i hawe a profi 300v
Distance between centers
300 mm
Center height
90 mm
Swing over bed
180 mm
Spindle bore
20 mm
Taper of spindle bore
MT 3
Speed range, stepless 50 - 2500 rpm
Longitudinal feed (3) 0,083 - 0,159 mm/r
Metric thread (14) 0,3 - 3 mm
Inch thread
(10) 10 - 44 Gg/1“
Travel of tailstock sleeve 60 mm
Taper of tailstock sleeve
MT 2
Motor power output S1 100%
0,45 kW / 230 V

Motor power input S6 40% 0,60 kW / 230 V
Machine dimension (W x D x H) 740 x 390 x 370 mm
Weight approx. 65 kg

can i buy any steady rest for it, or do i need one exaxtly for this lathe? and where could i get steady rests that are big enough for an canister ca3"

Try littlemachineshop.com, grizzly.com, msc tool, shars.com, travers tools, wholesale tool company and Ebay... It's hard to find a steady rest for a specific lathe unless it is currently in production. I guess 90mm is roughly 4" so 8" swing, right? So, you may be able to buy a 7-8" swing steady and build a spacer to bring it up to the correct height.
I have a couple of them laying around I'll see if they might work for you. I don't have the small lathe anymore so I can part with them. Tell me what your bed distance is? Total width and also distance between the flat part of the bed and the V part... I'll see if you might be able to rig one up to work.

Can you post a pic of the lathe? I think one of the steady's I have is from Grizzly and one from Harbor Freight. Not sure what size piece they can hold thought. I think one is 2.5" and the other one 3".

Is it still manufactured?

i cant post url i hawe to write something, one " is 2,54cm

It looks like there is a steadyrest on that URL, but it doesn't say what the maximum diameter is. I bought a steady rest for my lathe, but didn't use it because it was maring the outside of the cansiter too much.

It sounds like you have only a 3-jaw chuck, correct? My 3 jaw 75mm chuck failed miserably to even hold the canister, while the 4-jaw 100mm holds very easily. It looks like from the website, a 3-jaw, 100mm chuck is standard, which might work OK.

It looks like your lathe is a little smaller than mine, kind of the equivalent of a 7" lathe here in the US. I think that making a cansister on that size will be challenging! Mine was somewhat sketchy at times. It should be no problem to do any lighthead you want though.

Very nice work and a terrific report. Thanks for posting it.

It looks like there is a steadyrest on that URL, but it doesn't say what the maximum diameter is. I bought a steady rest for my lathe, but didn't use it because it was maring the outside of the cansiter too much.

It sounds like you have only a 3-jaw chuck, correct? My 3 jaw 75mm chuck failed miserably to even hold the canister, while the 4-jaw 100mm holds very easily. It looks like from the website, a 3-jaw, 100mm chuck is standard, which might work OK.

It looks like your lathe is a little smaller than mine, kind of the equivalent of a 7" lathe here in the US. I think that making a cansister on that size will be challenging! Mine was somewhat sketchy at times. It should be no problem to do any lighthead you want though.

Yes, the steady rest will mess up the outside of the part. This is why you face the outside last to fix it up!
7" lathe, yes pretty small for a can! I started with an 8x18 and it was somewhat of a challenge at times.

Oh and that 300mm distance between centers will be about $10-12"... When a can is about 7" deep and a tool needs to bore down to 7" depth you need about 14" between centers. Add the space the cross slide uses, angles and such and you really need about 20-24" to make it work well. Mine was 18" and I had to do multiple passes at different depths. It made boring a canister a major CHORE!

hmmm maby i will hawe to make the canister with alu tubing and weld the bottom and make a nice delrin lid

7" lathe, yes pretty small for a can! I started with an 8x18 and it was somewhat of a challenge at times.

Oh and that 300mm distance between centers will be about $10-12"... When a can is about 7" deep and a tool needs to bore down to 7" depth you need about 14" between centers. Add the space the cross slide uses, angles and such and you really need about 20-24" to make it work well. Mine was 18" and I had to do multiple passes at different depths. It made boring a canister a major CHORE!

Totally agree!!! It was doable on my 8x14", but needed to drill&bore at 3 different depths. At 7x12", you are probably looking at 4 different depths at a minimum.

Last edited:
Awesome write up with pictures. I went the easy and got a used setup from 350xfire and put it all together with a D-bin P7 Direct drive with 8 18650 batteries in parallel

Back
Top Bottom