10W LED light with Delrin canister

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How did you go from the turned aluminum surface for the reflector to the shiney surface shown for the reflector in post #4?

Looks like the first aluminum was a heatsink that was shaped to house the actual reflector. So the reflector just fits in the "cup", if you will...

Looks like the first aluminum was a heatsink that was shaped to house the actual reflector. So the reflector just fits in the "cup", if you will...

Yes, that is exactly correct. I need to post a photo of the reflector as it comes out of the bag vs after the modifications that are described (removing the lip, boring out the hole to 3/8", and removing all of the screw thread on the bottom).

Thanks for the kick in the butt. I have been planning a canister build for a while, but keep putting it off. It's probably 90% designed in Solidworks, now I just need to get some delrin and start working on mine!

Excellent quality work.

Jim

Hey Todd, do you know how that light compares to a 10 watt HID?

Hey Todd, do you know how that light compares to a 10 watt HID?

It will be a bit brighter than a 10w. At least that has been my experience.

That sounds intriguing. I have an old 10 watt HID lighthead that I will be making a canister for, but I'm thinking after the canister is done, I might start looking at doing an LED lighthead and do away with the HID.

Yeah, in my experience LEDs like the P7 or MC-E out perform 10w HIDs by quite a bit even when the LED is driven at 10 watt. Its only at about 21watt where the HID starts to catch up. 35watt and up HID is still king.

Agree!

One more thing, anyone know of a good source of Delrin in Canada? I've checked around a bit and haven't had too much luck, unless I want to buy 10 feet at a time.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom