12 boys lost in flooded Thai cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the first things the military commander of the operation said when the group was found was that - It may take four months before the group can come out. The leader of the whole operation is Chiang Rai governor Narongsak Osottanakorn, he turned out to be quite an organiser and very competent by the way, he also navigated the very same cave all the way to the end already 25 years ago, during the dry season. And he's got 4! bachelor degrees and a master degree from the US :)

It is said that he will remain the operational leader until the kids are out but that will at one point only be on paper, politics will or already has taken over

@MikeyIdea I think you are reading too much into what I wrote. My only point was that it did not appear that the Thai Navy SEALS were cave divers, and that there were very experienced cave divers and rescuers on scene, so hoped that they would take their experience into consideration. THAT'S IT! If you think I said anything other than that, that's on you, not me.

It is good that "...Chiang Rai governor Narongsak Osottanakorn... also navigated the very same cave all the way to the end already 25 years ago, during the dry season." I'm sure that is very admirable, but did that make him an experienced cave diver and rescuer?

It is also good that "he's got 4! bachelor degrees and a master degree from the US". I have 2 bachelor's and 2 master's degrees. So what? I'd suggest to you that neither of us are any better qualified to rescue those boys based on our degrees.

From what I have read, two of the reasons that drilling isn’t the first option is that (1) the heavy equipment needs something strong, flat and stable to stand on to work, so they’d need to build a concrete road or platform to put it on, (2) the chamber where the boys are is very small and not safe to drill into (my guess is they’re afraid of collapse).
You’d need to build a road and level a piece of the mountain. Probably tens of thousands of tons of rock to move. Still might be the best and cheapest plan, as having a thousand people supporting them for months can’t be cheap.

You can get very precise location using a radio transmitter in the cave. If you combine it with a precision inertial platform you should get a CEP that is adequate. Depending on the grade of the cave and surrounding terrain you might be able to drill a drain hole into the chamber. A 12” hole can move an enormous amount of water by gravity.

You can get very precise location using a radio transmitter in the cave. If you combine it with a precision inertial platform you should get a CEP that is adequate. Depending on the grade of the cave and surrounding terrain you might be able to drill a drain hole into the chamber. A 12” hole can move an enormous amount of water by gravity.

Brilliant idea KevinNM. Rather than pumping, why not focus on drilling drain tubes out of these cave reservoirs? All the pumping is flooding local farmer fields (and they want compensation), but it may give all that water a place to go.

This former Navy Seal is convinced a diving effort will lead to casualties.

Brilliant idea KevinNM. Rather than pumping, why not focus on drilling drain tubes out of these cave reservoirs? All the pumping is flooding local farmer fields (and they want compensation), but it may give all that water a place to go.

This former Navy Seal is convinced a diving effort will lead to casualties.

Go read my post on page 15 about this. This guy is absolutely unqualified to be commenting on this rescue. He has no valid "expertise" from which to draw.

Everything else aside, this is an interesting discussion on a discussion board, and I don't see why that's a problem. I don't think it breaks any forum rules and it's not like anyone is taking advice on the rescue from Scubaboard.

Too much speculation from too many sources. Let the people on site work the problem.

I think this incident has the potential to invite more speculation than some of the most speculated-upon incidents that have been discussed here. Usually, the incidents that receive the most speculation are those about which we have the least information. In this case, I think we are seeing so much speculation for the opposite reason: we are receiving a LOT of information. Interesting.

Too much speculation from too many sources. Let the people on site work the problem.

Speculation is going to happen, especially with something that is ongoing like this one. If you're bothered by it, then read other posts than this one.

Back
Top Bottom