12' inflatable- how limited?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to dive out of a 14 foot zodiac off the beach. We would use Cat Trax to roll over the sand and down to the water. My buddy and I would carry 4 tanks on the boat and make two tank dives. It works just fine. It is alot of work though... hauling the fuel tank, engine, zodiac, floorboards, anchor & line, all the dive gear, etc... then after your done diving you have to haul it all back up the beach. Its fun but alot of work :)

I disassembled and reassembled my boat about 6-8 times (total). We already have a ton of gear here in the PNW, hot dry suits (in summer), larger steel tanks, doubles sometimes, etc. I don't have enough energy to handle all that diving stuff and spend an hour plus assembling, launching and disassembling a boat on top of it. There aren't any beaches to launch from anyway, you have to use a ramp here.

The huge benefit of electric start and a trailer is that you can:
1) leave it setup
2) have a dedicated fishfinder
3) start it
4) use a clean burning 4-stroke engine.

I use about 2 gallons of gas for over a 18 mile round trip for 2 divers and 6 cylinders (2 sets doubles plus deco bottles). The 25hp 4-stroke is so much more efficient than the 15hp 2-stroke that I now carry 3 gallons of gas instead of 6 and have better range too.

Mine are similar to the EZ Launch. I put balloon tires on mine.

I have carried the boat on a trailer in times past but got rid of the trailer in one of our moves somewhere between here and there. The advantage of a trailer is not having to lift and carry a large engine. The engine mst be supported by something like a bracket from the trailer to the lower unit to prevent it from stressing the transom, especially at lower tube pressures. N

Very cool... I didn't know about the wheels, they look like they would make life easier and may make a larger boat more feasable.

Lot's to think about...I may be leaning toward a 14 footer now...

Thanks!

I agree with all the above answers. I've lived in the UK for a few years and RIBs and inflatables are the main way to dive for all the divers and clubs there. I also had a 15' inflatable in Canada and I have a 18' RIB here in LA I actually just put up for sale on this site. If you want to lift and go down a beach or something DON'T get a RIB, it will be too heavy but they are far better, safer and faster then a straight inflatable. Basic soft bottom inflatables push thorugh the water. Well it's a trade off for a RIB would go faster then a regular inflatable with the same engine. My 15' boat had a 30 honda on it once I put 4 divers in it it slowed way down. We actually called it the Wet *******, for you almost had to wear a mask to drive it. My RIB I can do 30mph with no one in it or a full boat with gear. The speed stays the same. For two people it would be great. I even bungied a sonar to the tank by my feet. Huminbird sells a case to fit batteries and a good sonar so you can have it in small boats. I can go to the islands in my 18' RIB with 5 divers, 2 tanks each all the gear they want but deck space is limited. Even in an 18 footer space is limited so make sure you have your gear down to small bags and wear your suits out there. I still have to tell the guys to stop bringing those travel bags which take up way too much room. Best of luck an inflatable is the best way to go for diving. I would have nothing but. I'm hoping to go for a 24 footer soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom