12 more days-Let's talk happy bonaire talk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MD..If you get a chance try come of the local places..Antriol catering; Mi Banana; Maikey Snack for the kabritu stoba; Plazita Limena (Columbian) right in town or El Fogon Lation, are some of our favs.

That's why I keep posting...to keep some balance here. There ARE some amazingly good things about Bonaire.

Another hint then: If you're going to dive the Hilma Hooker, go early in the morning (before the boats and the crowds) and dive her from shore. Due to depth, this is the one southern site I recommend you swim out to the mooring ball on the surface, then drop down. Once you've explored the wreck, head toward shore and work your way up the wall, then do your safety stop and off gas as you slowly meander over the sand flat toward shore. Check out all the little satellite reefs and rocks, anywhere that something might be hiding. Check out all the anemonies for "Thor" (Squat Anemone Shrimp) and the super cool Spotted Cleaner Shrimp. If you're lucky you'll spot a Sun Anemone Shrimp, which are super cool too!

I usually recommend that people not surface swim out to the first reef on the southern sites, and instead drop down and swim over the sand flats to check out the creatures. We've seen so many juveniles, huge lobsters, had a fabulous encounter with 4 GIANT Parrott Fish, etc., etc., etc, in the shallows on the sand flats.

That's why I keep posting...to keep some balance here. There ARE some amazingly good things about Bonaire.

Another hint then: If you're going to dive the Hilma Hooker, go early in the morning (before the boats and the crowds) and dive her from shore. Due to depth, this is the one southern site I recommend you swim out to the mooring ball on the surface, then drop down. Once you've explored the wreck, head toward shore and work your way up the wall, then do your safety stop and off gas as you slowly meander over the sand flat toward shore. Check out all the little satellite reefs and rocks, anywhere that something might be hiding. Check out all the anemonies for "Thor" (Squat Anemone Shrimp) and the super cool Spotted Cleaner Shrimp. If you're lucky you'll spot a Sun Anemone Shrimp, which are super cool too!

I usually recommend that people not surface swim out to the first reef on the southern sites, and instead drop down and swim over the sand flats to check out the creatures. We've seen so many juveniles, huge lobsters, had a fabulous encounter with 4 GIANT Parrott Fish, etc., etc., etc, in the shallows on the sand flats.

Thats exactly the kind of info that i've been looking for. Its nice that you guys and gals with Bonaire expieriance share things like that.

Thanks DM!

Dennis

did your research... Joined under this name on that date. VERY GOOD. Yes never been to Bonaire.

However if you were to do MORE research...My wife's user name which I used is I'maDorkFish. We've been members on this board since late 2006/early 2007. True we don't have many dives logged. but that doesn't mean we aren't world travelers.

AGAIN... lets keep this thread ON TOPIC as the poster requested... G

Go bash in your other anti Bonaire threads

Thanks, and have a nice day

I love you guys! Thanks for this thread, and for kicking out the nay-sayers.

Thats exactly the kind of info that i've been looking for. Its nice that you guys and gals with Bonaire expieriance share things like that.

Thanks DM!

Dennis

I second that!
Keep the good tips comming I'll be there in about three weeks. :yeahbaby:

One of my favorite dives is "The Rock". Check out Susan Porter's book "Bonaire Shore diving made Easy" if you don't know where the site is..The rock has a nice easy sand entry..We usually surface swim out to the drop off about 75 years straight off shore. "The Rock" is an underwater island separated from the drop off by about 25 years of sand. The top of the island about 75 feet, bottom about 110. We usually circle once at about 100 and then circle again at about 75 feet and then slowly make our way back. A wonderful dive!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thank you for that. It seems he listened you which is more success than anybody else has had.

did your research... Joined under this name on that date. VERY GOOD. Yes never been to Bonaire.

However if you were to do MORE research...My wife's user name which I used is I'maDorkFish. We've been members on this board since late 2006/early 2007. True we don't have many dives logged. but that doesn't mean we aren't world travelers.

AGAIN... lets keep this thread ON TOPIC as the poster requested... G

Go bash in your other anti Bonaire threads

Thanks, and have a nice day

To the OP, I have been to the island twice and cannot wait to return. The diving is great and the most convenient I have ever seen for shore diving. There is no other dive location that I have heard of that offers the same freedom as Bonaire. It is amazing. I was last there during OMAR and for your sake, I hope the reefs have recovered. The only thing that is typically lacking in Boanire diving is larger wildlife. From my experience and that of many other divers, the larger wildlife shows up oeriodically but it is not common (it is more common on the east side).

I certainly hope you have a camera so you can show us some pictures. There are no guarantees but if you like turtles, I have a total of 6 dives on Andrea II and encountered turtles on all of them (then 1 dive with swimming sting rays as well).

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom