13" tires on a Corvette OR what's up with those twirpy Atomic mouthpieces ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stop for a second, close your mouth, stick a finger in one of your nostrils, and then breathe in and out.

Do you have problems getting enough air?

Go in the kitchen and grab a straw. Plug your nose and breathe through the straw. Do you have problems?

Stop for a second, close your mouth, stick a finger in one of your nostrils, and then breathe in and out.

Go in the kitchen and grab a straw. Plug your nose and breathe through the straw. Do you have problems?

I tried the straw but my finger is in the way! What was the point of this experiment?

...well, sitting at my desk....probably not......but imagine a hard physical workout and I suspect there might be 'issues'....also, remember gases become more dense with increasing depth....more resistant to flow....which is kinda hard to duplicate doin' the 'straw at my desk' test......

I've had a seacure mouthpiece for years now. It probably restricts the flow out of my second stage a tad, but it fits in my mouth so well that I don't have to bite down on it at all when I'm diving. I noticed recently when I was a "victim" in a Rescue class that I actually had to release the mouthpiece when I was "unrespnsive" or else the rescuer might have pulled my teeth out in order to remove the regulator.

My Seacure is the most comfortable mouthpiece I"ve ever tried. I'd definitely get another one.

What's this got to do with Atomic's mouthpieces? Nothing. They're good mouthpieces. All Atomics move more air than anyone can use, so overbreathing them is probably not a problem, regardless of which mouthpieces are on them.

I love my Atomic reg, but the mouthpiece on it as well as the one on my SS1 seem a little small for my bite. Sooner or later, I'm going to try out a bigger one, probably a Seacure to see what the fuss is all about.

It's either that or trade in my mouth for a smaller one. :D

But as far as either mouthpiece restricting the airflow, I've never noticed it.

PS - In fact I switched my AL Legend regs to Atomic mouthpieces as they are so much more comfortable.

I agree the confo bite aqua lung and apeks mouth peices suck. I use all atomic mouth peices even on all my deco regs

During my factory training I was told the limiting factor with mouthpieces is actually the thickness of the bite tabs. Thicker bite tabs gives you wider spacing between your teeth and the teeth are what actually limit the amount of air you get.

Back
Top Bottom