13 years since last dive-to Ocotal in Jan-help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sailorgirl70

Reaction score
Hi - I got my open water certificate in 1989 when I was 19 years old and only had a couple extra dives in the Great Lakes after that. Its been 13 years since I dove and I am pretty scared because I am going to Ocotal in January for six days of diving. I have reread my book and played around with my boyfriend's BC - the one piece of equipment that really worries me. I think that I am more at risk then a newly certified diver, at least they have had a little practice. Is there anyone who can give me some tips or a pep talk to help me from whigging out. I am so excited about getting back into diving, but I don't want to die from my own incompetence. Has anyone who is new to diving been to Ocotal? I sound like a little whiner - sorry ;-).
Thanks all

Take a refresher course when you get there. Let them know you haven't dove in 13 yrs.

Check with your LDS & see if you can get a refresher course BEFORE you go - you need to get back in a pool before you even think about Open water.

When you read your O/W book it should have said: anyone that has not been diving for more than a year or more should take a refresher course. Since you expressed concern and are looking for a pep talk is a good indication that you should prior to going on this trip take a refresher course. Sorry this is NOT a pep talk, it does advise you what to do. It is will be well worth the few dollars and the cost is minimal compared to the cost of an accident. Thirteen years away from this sport is definitely a candidate for a refresher course. Here is a site that I peronally recommend that you should visit, some of the articles will make you understand why you need to take a refresher couse. Your boyfriend should be trying to steer you in this direction.
http://www.scubadiving.com/training/lessonsforlife

Enjoy the refresher course and have a great vacation. If you elect not to take the course I wish you a lot of luck.

Should you have and further concerns or question feel free to contact me.

Joe

Welcome to Scuba Board. Put us in your computer's Favorite List and check-in often...!!

sailorgirl70:
Hi - I got my open water certificate in 1989...

What kind of C-card do you have? Was that back when PADI's Basic Card was popular - authorizing you to go to a depth of 33 feet only when with a DM or Instructor?

sailorgirl70:
... and played around with my boyfriend's BC - the one piece of equipment that really worries me.

The BC is indicated as one of the equipment pieces most commonly involved with diver accidents. Very important that you be proficent with it.

If I were you, I'd want to do the entire Open Water course, as if I had never Scuba Dived before. I hope you will seek out as much training as possible.

Good luck, have fun, and tell us about it later...

don

Thanks all for the replies - I will check into a refresher course. My certificate doesn't have limits - one less thing to worry about!! I am going to call and see if I can hop into the pool at my dive center for some basic practice.
Thanks again
Julie

Pay my way and you'll have a private instuctor for a week! I won't even charge for the refresher.
Seriously get some instruction and practice before you go!

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom