14-42 2r lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is this lens worth the money to upgrade? I have the EPL1 with the Olympus housing and the original 14-42 kit lens

Anybody?

The claimed advantages of the II lens are: faster AF, more silent mechanism (for zooming during video). I am not sure if the II lens on the EPL1 would give you any faster AF because it may also need the EPL2 body to get that. You could go to an Oly dealer and try it. If you are asking, is it worth upgrading both the camera and housing to EPL2 specifically to get the lens, that is a judgment that will be very personal. In that upgrade you would also get the other advantages of the EPL2 over the EPL1, but the cost would be greater. Only you can make that judgment, everyone's situation and perceived value vs disposable income is different. Given that the EPL3 is another significant AF speed step beyond the EPL2, if I were considering the EPL2+housing as an upgrade, I would wait for the 3 housing and make 1 big jump, but that's just me.

Thnx I am only interested in the lens because the cost is not that much. I was wondering if the lens is that much of a difference by itself. My next system upgrade will probably be the Nikon d series but that is not for another year or so

this question was brought up in another thread and here is my response:
You may also want to try some research here:
Mu-43.com - Micro Four Thirds News and Rumors
While it's not underwater specific, there is much info about m4/3 lenses and cameras.

My understanding is that the new 14-42IIR version lense only gets the speed benefit on the EPL3.
Adding it to the EPL2 is not supposed to change focus speed.

However, adding the 14-42II to an EPL1 makes the EPL1 focus faster.

I have the epl2 with the 14-42II in and oly housing with the Zen port. If you are used to C5050 type focus, you'll be thrilled with the epl2 and I'm sure more thrilled with the epl3.
I also have the 9-18 lense and really don't notice a difference in focus speed between it and the 14-42II.

Now, I've only used it one trip. Will be going for a week in early November so will get a better feel for it then.

this question was brought up in another thread and here is my response:
You may also want to try some research here:
Mu-43.com - Micro Four Thirds News and Rumors
While it's not underwater specific, there is much info about m4/3 lenses and cameras.

My understanding is that the new 14-42IIR version lense only gets the speed benefit on the EPL3.
Adding it to the EPL2 is not supposed to change focus speed.

However, adding the 14-42II to an EPL1 makes the EPL1 focus faster.

I have the epl2 with the 14-42II in and oly housing with the Zen port. If you are used to C5050 type focus, you'll be thrilled with the epl2 and I'm sure more thrilled with the epl3.
I also have the 9-18 lense and really don't notice a difference in focus speed between it and the 14-42II.

Now, I've only used it one trip. Will be going for a week in early November so will get a better feel for it then.

Thnx for the info

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom