Unknown 14 drifters rescued - Maldives

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
14 individuals who were found afloat at sea in dangerous waters while diving, have been rescued.
The Maldives Police Service (MPS) revealed that a Marine Police speedboat that took off from Fuvahmulah City on Saturday morning spotted a diver afloat at sea near Gaaf Dhaal atoll Gan island.
When the speedboat reached the spot where the diver was spotted, they found two more divers in distress.
Upon rescuing the divers, they learned that additional divers too had been pulled away by strong currents in the region.
With this, officers onboard the marine police speedboat initiated a search and rescue operation, during which 14 individuals were rescued from turbulent waters.

Among those rescued and safely transferred to Gadhdhoo island of Gaaf Dhaal atoll without any reported casualties included four Maldivian instructors.
The rescued individuals included 10 nationals from Russia.
In a statement released on Saturday, the police institution expressed gratitude for the swift action by the marine police that averted a potential disaster.
MPS stressed that this incident serves as a reminder to all divers and beachgoers to exercise caution, remain vigilant of changing tides and currents, and adhere to safety guidelines to ensure their well-being.

Great nobody was lost or injured. Diving in that area is not for the feint hearted for sure

So they were found by fluke? The missing divers were not reported by the boat?

Hmm. We are planning a trip there next year. We're pretty decent in currents. Got a tune up in Fiji last fall. Still something to be aware of.

I wonder if the 10 Russian divers were following the dive guides, or were playing cowboy and the guides were trying to keep them safe.

Would love more details on how this happened? Was just there last month. Did liveaboard not report them missing?

I got nothing from Russian-language searches, except that judging by the number of "Dive Maldives" ads, I am entirely unsurprised 10 out of 14 of them were Russian.

Just came back from Maldives. I spoke to locals and the guide with a direct connection said the article was widely blown out of proportions. No emergency, different atoll actually, donny wasn’t that far but the coast guard showed up somehow and attempted to pick up divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom