$1500-$2000 how should I upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Orenbvip - What to buy is a very personal thing - I have a EPM1/oly/zen dome housing, EPl3/oly and EM5/Nauticam. Why did I make the switch? I love my EPM1 - the thing I didn't like was how hard it was to switch the ports and limited number of ports compared to the Nauticam (at the time I bought the housing) those were the main reasons I made the switch. Now that I have the Nauticam I have also discovered that the housing is smaller and easier for me to use, I love the 12/50 Nauticam port that allows me to take Wide and Macro photos and leak detection. Big bonus was that I could use the lenses from the EPM1 to the EM5. There are a lot more benefits to the EM5/Nauticam that I don't take advantage of too.

So you need to ask your self - how often do you use the camera? Is it worth buying the EPM1 now - buying more lens maybe a port or two and in maybe 3-5 years upgrading to a newer version of camera/housing? Or buying the EM5 (a new version EM1 of the camera just released) and getting fewer lenses/ports? Or waiting and buying the EM1 when the housings come out?

I'm glad I bought the EPM1 first - that way I could buy different lenses and then when I made the switch to EM5 and Nauticam - I just bought housings and a couple of ports as I already had lens, strobes, arms/tray etc......plus I have a great back-up camera.

Again what to buy depends upon what is most important to you - but if you can I really encourage you to look at both the Nauticam and Olympus housing to see their differences and if you can the different model of cameras too.

Good luck,
Audrey

I recommend the EPM1 a lot, but in your case I don't see the point. Either add more lens/ports to what you have or jump to a 16mp camera (epl5 or em5).
I shoot with an epl2 and I also have the em5 for use on land. Recently I picked up an epm1 body only for $119 as my small carry kit. It's great, but no reason to change from epl2 for me on my underwater setup.
The 60mm is a must have if you like macro.
I'm personally waiting for price drops on either the epl5 camera/housing combo or the em5 housing.

Back
Top Bottom