1800psi Steel60s ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CA_Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I found two LP (1800psi) steel 60 tanks for sale locally - $10/ea. To be honest, I'm not familiar with anything beyond the standard 2250 LP and 3500 HP steels and 3000 psi aluminums, so when I saw 1800psi steel, that made me scratch my head. I thought it was a misprint, so I inquired with the seller. From my discussions with the seller, they were originally used as doubles, then split for use in the pool. They haven't been hydro'ed/vis'ed in a long time, but have been stored with minimal (100psi) pressure.

ZKY pointed me to this forum and thought some of you may have some insight/information/warnings about these tanks. Any information would be great.

Thanks,

Jonathan

1800 PSI steel tanks were pretty common back in the 1950's and early 1960s.

Double them with a vintage single outlet manifold and dive them as you would a single 120.

If you need a center tap manifold, I have an old USD manifold with J reserve I'm not using. It needs serviced and cleaned but it looks to be in decent shape. It has a 3/4" thread, though. I don't know what size thread your tanks have.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Will "normal" shops have any problem filling these tanks - will they know they are 1800 psi instead and not overfill them or is this something I would need to make them aware of?

How do tanks like these dive?

Paladin954 - I might ask the seller to try to dig up the manifold they used originally, but if not, I might come knocking if I decide to go doubles - another thing that would be new to me.

The LDS "should" know, but I have caught them over filling so I write 1800 psi in permanant marker on the neck of the tank. Some shops will not fill older tanks even if they have passed hydro and viz.

Back in the late 70's when I started diving my first set of tanks was a pair of twin 50's with 1800 PSI. The original hydro was from the late 50's early 60's just can't remember but they still worked just fine.

For $10 each you could easily afford to have them hydroed. Tumbled if needed and bolt on a vintage manifold and dive away.

You might want to make sure they don't have a tapered thread neck. Most shops will not have the tools to either remove or tighten the valve to the appropriate torque (something crazy like 90 ftlbs... that's a big a$$ wrench!) to keep it from leaking once it is hydroed and viped. If they have an I-valve (sticks straight up kinda like an O2 kit cylinder) they are probably tapered.

And they won't know it's 1800 psi unless you are one of the lucky few to have a really good shop/employee.

Double them with a vintage single outlet manifold and dive them as you would a single 120.

My thoughts exactly! I always watch shop people closely. I make sure they don't run my 72's up to 3000. Of course when you want a hot fill they won't give you one. Ha

I have two 1800 psi cylinders that I got in 1978, I think, which are Sherwood 45s. If they have a concave bottom, they may be 45s rather than 60s. At any rate, they make very nice doubles.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom