18650 Batteries and charger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wineguydoug

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I concur on the Panasonic 3400 batteries. You need to go ahead and get a good charger that will more than pay for itself if you use rechargeable.

Panasonic Batteries

OPUS BT-C3400 Charger

Both of the above products have awesome reviews. The OPUS will show you exactly how good the batteries you buy are.

I have Olight 3400mah Protected 18650 Rechargeable Li-ion Batteries. Quite happy with them. For charger I recommend NiteCore D4

I have the Opus charger that Doby mentioned. It is great.

But, if I were buying a new charger today, I would probably get the new Xtar VP4 Plus Dragon charger.

XTAR VP4 PLUS DRAGON Charger

The Opus will charge 4 x 18650 at once. But, it will not charge 4 x 26650 at once. The battery slots aren't wide enough.

The VP4 will charge 4 batteries as fat as a D cell (so, I think 4 x 32650) at one time.

The first two digits are the width, in millimeters, and the rest is the length. So, a 32650 is fatter than a 26650, which is fatter than an 18650, but they are all approximately the same length.

I would definitely only buy a charger, like the Opus or the Dragon, that has a mode for testing the battery capacity. Without a way to test capacity, how will you know when you have a battery that is dying? The only way would be when it dies part way through a dive where it should have lasted the whole dive.

Dang I like the Dragon but for almost double the price of the OPUS it just doesn't make sense to me. If I could stomach the price I would get that one for sure though.

Dang I like the Dragon but for almost double the price of the OPUS it just doesn't make sense to me. If I could stomach the price I would get that one for sure though.

Yeah, I'm not going to buy one anytime soon (I hope). My Opus is working fine. And I bought an 8 cell charger (but not tester) from Mountain electronics, so I can charge a lot of batteries at once. The Opus can handle the occasional testing or reconditioning I need to do. But, since my main lights are now the Xtar D26, and they use 26650 batteries, if my Opus were to die, I would get the Dragon as a replacement, just so I could charge 4 batteries at once, instead of 2.

Yeah, I'm not going to buy one anytime soon (I hope). My Opus is working fine. And I bought an 8 cell charger (but not tester) from Mountain electronics, so I can charge a lot of batteries at once. The Opus can handle the occasional testing or reconditioning I need to do. But, since my main lights are now the Xtar D26, and they use 26650 batteries, if my Opus were to die, I would get the Dragon as a replacement, just so I could charge 4 batteries at once, instead of 2.

I could not agree more with you as I am sitting in the same boat with the D26 lights. I almost only use 26650s now. I am actually looking at a way to do four on the OPUS. It would require some type of "holder" for two of them, but the charger itself can handle charging four, its just a sizing thing.

I could not agree more with you as I am sitting in the same boat with the D26 lights. I almost only use 26650s now. I am actually looking at a way to do four on the OPUS. It would require some type of "holder" for two of them, but the charger itself can handle charging four, its just a sizing thing.

That's kind of why I bought one of these:

Enova GYRFALCON ALL-88 8x Li-Ion + NiMH Charger

One any given dive day, I could use 2 or 3 26650s (for my lights), 8 AAs (for my camera strobes), an 18650 (for my video light), and possibly another 1 or 2 AAs for strobe marker lights.

I wanted a charger that I could take with me on dive trips that would have at least a chance of charging everything at once, so I don't have to deal with charging some, then remembering to check the charger and swap in more batteries to charge before I go to bed. If I really do use all those batteries on one day, I will still have to do two rounds of charging. But, it will be a rare day that I really use that many batteries. In reality, if I'm shooting photographs with my strobes, I probably won't use any other lights, so I will only need to charge the 8 AAs. And if I'm not doing that, then I can do all the rest and still only have to do one round of charging.

With the ability to charge up to 8 x 26650 at once, the Gyrfalcon charger should handle anything I need. And I can keep the Opus at home and use it for testing and reconditioning (and charging at home, too). The Gyrfalcon lives in a Ziploc in one of my dive boxes that goes with me on road trips.

Back
Top Bottom