19 or 30 cubic feet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

here ya go

I did mine for under 8$

DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging

I used the same site to put mine and my buddies slings together. They cost be about $12.00 each. It was $8 just for the 2 bolt snaps (make sure you get stainless steel and not nickel plated) The rest of the stuff is super cheap. It sure beats paying $30.00 for a premade kit. Go to your local bike shop and ask for an old innertube that they are going to just throw away so that you can use it to cover the clamp. They should have no problem giving you one. I ended up using bungee cord to stow my reg hose because I could not find anywhere around me that sold big rig tires that still have innertubes. I am always keeping my eyes open though.

Good luck with everything...

Phil

I must correct my self a little...The bolt snap I already had. SO 8$ was for the rest of the material. Get good big bolt snaps. Small ones are hard to manipulate. You want BIG.

enjoy

Remember, if you decide on a 30, there are two different sizes. The Catalina is 5.25" in diameter and 20" long and the Luxfer is only 4.88" in diameter but a little over 1 inch longer. I slightly prefer the Luxfer 30 dimensions.

Personally, I prefer to tank mount the pony with a quick disconnect.

I tried slinging... I didn't care for it. I have no aspirations, at this time, of doing any tec diving.

I use a 19 as a bail-out bottle. It's mounted inverted next to my main tank.

It's secured with a DiveRite Remora bracket which keeps it nice and snug.

A couple of pounds of trim weight on the opposite side, keeps me straight.

Good luck.

Since the idea of a pony is emergency air and when things go wrong it's usually more than one thing going wrong at the same time I would suggest opting for a 30 or 40 cube. I mount a 40 with "Super Pony Tamer". It does affect trim a bit but it is comforting to know the air is there.
You should however, as has been mentioned, balance your choice against the kind of diving you will do.

A 19 or a 13 will be more than you need to get to the surface from the depths that you plan....Do the math for yourself... Why take a bigger bottle than you need?

From a recreational NDL divers stand point a 19cf pony bottle slung is a great match. Easy to rig and carry on land,,,easy to sling and swim with. Plenty of gas for its intended purpose of a contingency gas supply. For the 'average' recreational diver a 40cf bottle is just over kill. A 13cf is to small, and by all means stay away from the Spare Air type products please. But in the end...any contingency gas supply is far better than none.

I persl. use a 19cf pony for basic single tank recreational diving, have yet to ever 'have' to use it.

:wink:

A 19 or a 13 will be more than you need to get to the surface from the depths that you plan....Do the math for yourself... Why take a bigger bottle than you need?

My thoughts, exactly!

Used as a bail-out bottle, the dive is done. Even if I'm at the end of my dive (60ish feet for 60ish minutes), 19cf will easily get me to the surface WITH a safety stop.

The 19cf system IS my redundant air supply.

I'm not looking for MORE safe... just SAFE!

Sooner or later you have to stop piling on the extra (redundant) gear, and extra weight, and jump in for some FUN!!:D:D:D

I'll stick with the smaller 19cf bottle...

IMHO:mooner:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom