Question Wing Size Regret: 30 or 40 pound?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Inscrutable

Inscrutable

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, I am relatively new to diving so please forgive my ignorance. And apologies if I posted this in the wrong place.

I’m switching from a Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD with a 35 pound lift to a Halcyon backplate and wing. With my Scubapro, I currently dive with a single AL80, a 7mm semi dry wetsuit (yeah, yeah, I know) and about 12 pounds of lead in a cooler tropical climate which leaves me neutrally buoyant at 15 feet with 5-700 PSI left in my cylinder. I’m 5’9-5’10 and 125 lbs. I used both the Optimal Buoyancy Calculator and the Wing Calculator and both suggested roughly a 28 lb lift after I input everything.

I ordered the 40 lb Halcyon wing as I plan to do drysuit diving with steel cylinders in colder water and thought, perhaps, I could use one wing for both as the physical size difference appeared minimal (a few centimeters).

Now, I’m having some regret about purchasing the 40 pound wing. Would the 30 pound wing have been the wiser choice? I like having a bit of lift at the surface as I’ve been caught in some pretty turbulent surface conditions, but not at the expense of battling air pockets while diving if the 30 pound wing would be the better choice. Or, will I likely need both?

Thank you.

For a single tank 30 lbs. For doubles, 40 lbs. I regret selling my 40 lb wing for doubles and keeping my 50 lber (I would have liked to have left my 40 lb wing in my house in Greece - for the sake of carrying less equipment).

For a single tank 30 lbs. For doubles, 40 lbs. I regret selling my 40 lb wing for doubles and keeping my 50 lber (I would have liked to have left my 40 lb wing in my house in Greece - for the sake of carrying less equipment).
Thank you. Yeah, I’m afraid I went too large. Going to see if I can exchange it for the 30 pound one. I think I based my choice on the 35 pound lift I currently have sometimes not feeling sufficient at the surface.

With a 3mm wetsuit, steel backplate, and a couple of pounds of lead, with a single Al80 for tropical diving, I use a 26 lb. wing. I think your calculation is probably accurate.

I use a 40 lb. wing for a drysuit and double tanks.

I have use 60lb for single steel usually 120s and 130s for many years,
Now it sits nicely on double lp72s

If you can only afford 1 wing I would have stayed with a 40lb. But as you go along you'll find used wings usually quite reasonable, and pretty soon you'll have a collection.

With a 3mm wetsuit, steel backplate, and a couple of pounds of lead, with a single Al80 for tropical diving, I use a 26 lb. wing. I think your calculation is probably accurate.

I use a 40 lb. wing for a drysuit and double tanks.
Thank you. The 40 was barely bigger in store when I ordered it. The 30 sounds like a better option for my but for some reason went with the 40 because I’ve been caught at the surface with pretty sizable waves several times during drift dives waiting for the boat to come grab me. I probably went with the 40 because the Scubapro BCD fits well but not perfectly. Thanks again!

I have use 60lb for single steel usually 120s and 130s for many years,
Now it sits nicely on double lp72s

If you can only afford 1 wing I would have stayed with a 40lb. But as you go along you'll find used wings usually quite reasonable, and pretty soon you'll have a collection.
I think I tried too hard to find a multitasking product, but also I’ve been caught waiting at the surface during drift dives in some pretty large waves so I thought I might appreciate the extra lift. I have a feeling I’ll end up ordering the 30 pound one. Thank you!

Thank you. The 40 was barely bigger in store when I ordered it. The 30 sounds like a better option for my but for some reason went with the 40 because I’ve been caught at the surface with pretty sizable waves several times during drift dives waiting for the boat to come grab me. I probably went with the 40 because the Scubapro BCD fits well but not perfectly. Thanks again!
Hi, I don't think that you can dive single tank with a 40 pounds wing : the tacos effect will make it unstable and will prevent you from being able to use your low dump valve...
A change of wing is necessary when switching from single to double tanks. Or you need a polyvalent model with adjustable bungees or a zipper to restrict the wing size when needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom