1937 Film of an Octopus Attack on a Helmet Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did people really believe all that hooey? Amazing to see something from that era, but painful to listen to.

Or the poisonous saliva

What's interesting is where did he find an Abalone in the Gulf of Mexico???? I didn't know we had Abalone, let alone octopus with 128 foot tentacles that are so hungry that sometimes they eat their own tentacles. The free diver who dove head first off the boat with his knife in his mouth is Capt Wallace Caswell Jr. who was chief of police in Panama City at the time.....

Last edited:
Except for most divers I don't think audiences in 2011 would know the difference....

Every body knows a devil fish, a slimey, slithery, horrible symbol of sin (octopus) does not pose a hideous peril to a diver with it's unmitigated ferocity - it's the giant clams that clamp on to your foot that will kill you....

Even though it's just a movie (a really bad movie) I'm just glad the sea turtle and devil fish did not succeed in killing him with that combined attack on his air line and person. Golly...that was a close call.

I'm gonna stick with cave diving where it's nice and safe - except for the man eating giant albino crayfish...

I guess in 1937 people would not notice that the diver entered the water with no shoes and a heayweight belt. Once in the water he has shoes and front and rear mounted weights. later he has the belt back. Look for a 1930 movie called "The sea bat" for even older scenes of helmet divers. This time being attacked by a huge ray.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom