1943 Navy Dive Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would guess on the order of five to ten thousand. Hard to say, the current economy can kick the bottom out of collectables.

Wow! Guess I won't be buying it. My dad is an auctioneer and they are selling it on Saturday. Well, if anyone's interested, there is online and phone bidding available.

If the bidding stays low and you can get it for under two grand, that'd be a steal!

I know this may sound silly, but if that is the original wooden box that the helmet is sitting on you just jacked up the value.

There is no serial number on the hat. It is a cheep reproduction. First thing I noted was the lack of tin coating on the hat that was also turning green around the port lights because they are a different metal than the shell. Third tip off is the port lights and the other details, like the speaker box, are not the right shape or porportion.

The black suit is a cold water survival suit and has nothing to do with the diving suit.

The canvas suit might be worth some thing. But I doubt it.

You've a better eye than I. A dollar-three-eighty?

There are about 60 or 70 of those things on eBay if someone needs a price compairison. My guess is they are either from the Philipines or China.

Hum.... I was a little thrown off by that survival suit too as I knew a liner was not used in a standard dress. And the fact that the helmet looks too small next to the dress (the canvas dress is a small size for divers up to 5'9" [one grommet] ).

The breastplate is too flat in appearance; the real MkV was rounded [baloonish]. There is also no mount for the Zinc plate above the spitcock, the screws [shouldn't be] on the top and side port guards are flat [shouldn't be] and the wing nut on the faceplate is wrong [could be a replacement I suppose]. The lashing eyelets are also canted at a 45 degree angle [shouldn't be].

Also, the nameplate attempts to copy a tag found here but gets a few parts wrong (plate is riveted [shouldn't be], no period after the abbreviation "MASS" [should be] and missing a small rectangular raised section under the date area). Look at the last Morse image under helmet identification tags. Helmet Identification Page

So, the big question is: now that tendi knows there is a high probability that it is a reproduction helmet, will his dad the auctioneer tell the bidders or still try to pass it off as authentic?

Last edited:
I agree its a fake I dove those rigs in the Navy for 14 years and the first thing that jumps out is the shape of the ID plate on the hat. Plus that black suit, I never saw anything in the Navy like that although I came in to the Navy diving in 1965. Plus the valve on the left side is incomplete. Stay away from it. Look at the shape of the plate on the brest plate in my avatar that is a real Navy MK-5 rig. :wink:

He's not a vintage dive gear expert. He won't make any claim that its authentic. He takes detailed photos and let's the buyer decide. Unfortunately, even if something is authentic, he's seen buyers claim it wasn't to keep the price down.

Either way, the gear is cool! I'd love to have it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom