1971 Voit, 1960 us divers tank help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blue433

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, i recently won an auction that contained 3 icc-3aa2250, all are different.

Markings #1

ICC3AA2250
K50489
USD
4 (c w/ an l in it) 67 +

6 (t stamped over an s) 84
Then on the other side it has
10 d2 82 07 (d282 are really small on top of each other )
u.s. divers stamp on top has us divers valve

#2 DOT3AA2250
71 - 3436
VOIT
1971 + PST

first stamp date 5 (circle A) 78
last date 3 07 has us divers valve

#3 This one looks really old and plain

ICC-3AA2250
HJ 18383

(diamond stamp)
1 (diamond) 60 +
6 x 65

only date stamp is the 6 x 65

Near the valve on the tank there is a stamp FN, a little lower to the left is stamped HEALTHWAYS
the valve also marked healthways scuba L.A. CALIF

Also got a 81 luxer thats about half a foot shorter than the others.

so basically how rare are these? All the ones i find are already sold so the ad with the price is gone. I dont know how much certain markings make a difference. I thought at first the 1960 was junk at first look, but now after more research i know better. anyone know the approx value of 3 together? Tank#1 is solid light blue, literally looks brand new...#2 is a custom paint scheme yellow w/ green...a couple of scuff marks on the paint #3 doesnt have any scratches, but normal patina (looks like it was never painted)

Appears you have 3 steel 72's, the most common tank through out the 50's, 60's and 70's. Two made by Pressed Steel Tank one made by Norris. Excellent buoyancy characteristics both as singles and doubles. I have 10 of them as singles and doubles.

Thanks for the reply, so how much do these things go for? I messed up on the thread title...the 3rd one is not a us divers, it is a healthways.

I thought that voit and us divers were a different company so why does the 1971 have a PST and VOIT stamp? only the 67 has an actual us divers stamp on it.

that sucks, guess ill just post them on ebay and see what happens. hopefully the 1960 healthways brings more! Thanks

ICC3AA2250 and DOT3AA2250 are the manufacturing specifications for the steel and manufacturing tolerance for the tank. ICC is Interstate Commerce Commission witch became the DOT – Department of Transportation

Tank #1
ICC3AA2250
K50489
USD
4 (c w/ an l in it) 67 +
6 (t stamped over an s) 84
Then on the other side it has
10 d2 82 07 (d282 are really small on top of each other )
u.s. divers stamp on top has us divers valve

Serial number: K50489
Tank was made in April 1967 by Pressed Steel for US Divers. The C with the L inside of it is the symbol for Cochran Labs, the independent test lab for pressed Steel Corp.
Retested in June 1984 and October 2007. The little numbers are the code for the retest company and is read clockwise as D282 which is the code for Mid-Atlantic Fire & Air, Inc. 1050 Weiser Street, Reading, PA 19601

Tank #2
DOT3AA2250
71 - 3436
VOIT
1971 + PST
first stamp date 5 (circle A) 78
last date 3 07 has us divers valve

Serial number: 71-3436
Tank was made in January 1971 by Pressed Steel for Voit – there should be a number in front of the 1971 date which is the month of manufacture.
Retested in May 1978 and March 2007

Tank #3
ICC-3AA2250
HJ 18383
(diamond stamp)
1 (diamond) 60 +
6 x 65

Serial number: HJ 18383
Tank was made in January 1960 by Norris – there should be an N inside of the diamond
Retested in June 1965

If the thread size is ¾”, this tank is one of the first ¾” ones made.

Its kinda hard for me to see, but yes there are N's in both of the diamonds

so that explains the 6 x 65

and yeah the thread size is 3/4"... thats one of the first things i noticed compared to the other 2.

There is also this other symbol i noticed is a capital A with a line going vertical down the middle, its of to left side inbetween the serial and the date. i can post a picture later

so how valuable would that make it? I keep searching for any that were sold in the past, and i cant find any. thinking im kinding wanting to keep it, im sure the value can only go up

All three are in the 20 to 30 dollar range if they are in need of a hydro which they are. Manufactuer, marking, etc do not change the value. They are what they are. With current hydros they would be in the 60 to 80 dollar range.

Since you are a new diver you might consider getting one hydroed and try it out. There is not much difference in size compared to an AL 80 which is actually only 77 cubic feet but they have much better buoyancy and will allow using less lead.
I dive mine with other divers who are using AL 80's and our end pressures and dive time are essentially the same. And they will most likely out live you.

Only if they are in mint unused condition. They are not collectibles. Those 72's are tanks to be used. All that will happen if you let them sit is they may rust and be worth nothing. Make sure they are clean and get em hydro'd and divers who know what they are doing will buy em to dive with.

...and yeah the thread size is 3/4"... thats one of the first things i noticed compared to the other 2.

Are you sure?
I would suspect the 1971 Voit would be 3/4", and I can pretty much guarantee that the 1967 USD is 3/4". My guess is your 1960 Healthways is actually 1/2" tapered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom