1979 US diver aluminum tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have 2 US Diver aqua lung aluminum tanks. Stamped DOT-E6498-3000 That were made in 1979 and only one hydro test in 1985. One probably hade a full fill in it. They were filled less than 12 times. Should I try to get a hydro test.... or am I wasting my money. I'm trying to get certified and buy my own equiptment on a BUDGET. Is it worth it? What do you guys think????

THANKS!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

2 identical threads merged.
No double posting please

I think it would likely make a good wind chime or lamp stand. If it were a steel tank, the age wouldn't be an issue, but I wouldn't trust an aluminium tank that's that old. Unless it's a gift, I'd say don't bother with it.

I think it would likely make a good wind chime or lamp stand. If it were a steel tank, the age wouldn't be an issue, but I wouldn't trust an aluminium tank that's that old. Unless it's a gift, I'd say don't bother with it.

More specifically, if it's a 6351 alloy tank that is that old, then I wouldn't trust it. If it is a Catalina aluminum tank or something that is old 6061, then I'd use it all day long. Not all aluminum tanks are 6351. You can look around online and find out if your tank is 6351 or 6061. I have an old aluminum tank that is 6061 and it's fine.

If and only if, the price is right and they are not former rentals.

Get them eddy current tested....if they pass, then get a hydro and visual...

They will be fine, but don't pay too much and don't expect every shop to fill them.

By the way their boyancy characteristics are less than desirable.

I notice that you live in Florida. I keep on hearing that dive shop in Florida will not fill the older 6351 aluminum tanks.

Actually, I have even heard that many dive shops down there won't even fill older steel tanks (that is pure ignorance on there part).

While they probably will pass hydro the hassle of dealing with shops that won't fill them would make me look for tanks that are made from 6061 alloy or steel. You would be better off renting tanks until you can find something better.

Back
Top Bottom