1st Coz Trip Report: Caribe Blu and Blue XT Sea Nov 4-11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MemphisDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First post last week didn’t last long b/c of SB problems, so I reposted.

My wife and I are both new divers with ~20 dives. We read such great things about Cozumel on SB, so decided that we had to go. Homework turned up consistently good reviews for Christi at Blue XT Sea Diving. She gave a quick response to my email in early July and, next thing you know, we’re confirmed for Nov 4-11, staying at Caribe Blu and diving with her. Seven nights and 6 days of 2-tank dives package totaled $1300. Wow, figured it would be that per person.

Travel: Flew Memphis to Cozumel on Continental. Flight was smooth, but we had a short connection in Houston. The travel gods were looking after us; our bags made it to Cozumel. Got the green light through Mexican immigration and we’re off to the shuttle bus and Caribe Blu.

Caribe Blu: We were extremely pleased with Caribe Blu and would definitely stay there again. This small hotel is about a 15-20 minute walk or $4-5 cab ride south of town. The front of the hotel is right on the street, but street noise was not excessive. The A/C worked well. Rooms are large, clean, and well maintained. Beds were very comfortable (especially after I spent about 36 hours straight in one, details below). All rooms have beautiful views of the water (see photos). A small pool is located at water’s edge, hammocks can be found near the pool. Most dive ops pick up and drop off at the pier. Balconies have a rack for hanging gear and you can rinse and store gear at the on site dive op, Blue Angel, even if you don’t dive with them.

Their restaurant, Rendez Blu, is located beside the hotel above Blue Angel. The restaurant is upstairs and is open air with a nice water view. The food was very good, the service friendly and efficient, and prices reasonable. Breakfast ran $4-6 each, depending on what we had. Choices include fruit, pastries/breads, eggs cooked to order, breakfast tacos with eggs, pancakes, coffee, juice. Lunch had burgers, sandwiches, quesadillas, burritos, tacos, etc.

Restaurants

Dinner ran from $20-50 for the two of us. Be sure to bring cash since we found that many places don’t take plastic. Some highlights were:

La Choza: Reasonably priced local food. Grilled snapper was excellent.

Especias: Our favorite, we went here twice. Adrian, owner/bartender/waiter, makes everyone feel right at home. His personal service is only topped by the food. Try the crab finger appetizers, Thai shrimp special and grouper cooked in foil with Jamaican spices.

French Quarter: Went here on Sunday night since many other restaurants are closed. Menu had a wide selection of New Orleans style food as well as steaks and seafood. We shared a 14-16 oz NY strip steak that was excellent. Service and atmosphere were great.

Diving

I can’t say enough good things about Christi and Blue XT Sea. From our initial email contact to the end of our trip, Christi was friendly, professional, and attentive to all our needs, whether related to diving or not. We also did our nitrox certification with Christi while we were there. Although our diving experience is limited, but it’s easy to recognize great customer service and they consistently provided it.

Unfortunately, the first norte of the season blew in with us. We were able to get out on her boat Shamu the first day but winds got stronger as the week progressed. We never knew until the morning if we would be able to dive, and if we did, what size boat we’d be on. Christi was constantly in touch with us, keeping us updated on conditions and where and when to meet the boat (pick-up at the Caribe Blu pier was usually impossible). When the harbor was closed to small boats, she arranged for us to go on a larger boat with her DM (Pedro). In contrast, divers at Caribe Blu with other dive ops missed dives on 1-2 days because of a lack of communication from the dive op.

Blue XT Sea takes a maximum of 6 divers plus a DM and the boat captain (Mago). Towels are provided along with windbreakers. The jackets are really nice because the winds made it chilly when we got out of the water. Long surface intervals were at a beach and snacks (pretzels, nuts, sandwiches, etc.) and juice were provided. Christi met us at the surface interval nearly every day. We dove with Christi’s regular DM Pedro several days. He is outstanding - friendly with a good sense of humor; pre-dive briefings are thorough and safety emphasized. Underwater, he’s excellent at spotting critters. Because of scheduling, we dove with Javier for 2 days. He’s also excellent. My wife had some buoyancy problems and both DMs did a great job working with her. Both are very attuned to each diver’s needs and comfort levels and provided more attention to the needier divers (like my wife) while giving the more experienced divers the freedom they wanted. Divers were allowed to dive their own profiles with no set time limits - both asked divers to let them know when they reached 500-700 psi and they’d send them up. DMs stayed down with the divers with air left.

Fri Nov 5

Norte has started with whitecaps everywhere, but harbor is open to small boats. First dive is Palancar Horseshoe (max depth 90 ft, time 50 mins). The coral formations, fish life, and water clarity are stunning. Did a couple of easy swim throughs and saw numerous large lobsters and a huge black grouper. By the end of the dive, I’m getting the "drift" of drift diving. Second dive was Paso de Cedral (max depth 56 ft, time 66 mins). Current was ripping over a large sandy area between two coral formations. Over the sand, saw a 6-7 foot green moray eel out in the open and 2 large permits feeding.

Sat Nov 6

Norte continues and harbor closed to boats under 40 ft. Christi tried to get us on a larger one but the timing didn’t work out so we bagged diving. Walked into town and shopped with thousands of our best cruise ship friends. Couldn’t take this long so went to Paradise Beach .

Sun Nov 7

Norte is still blowing and harbor closed to small boats. Christi got us on a larger boat with 6 of her other customers. First dive Palancar Bricks (max depth 84 ft, time 50 mins) with great coral and sponge formations and walls. Surprised at the relatively smaller numbers of fish at this site. Second dive was Delila Gardens (max depth 61 ft, time 55 mins). Good critters here with 2-3 ft nurse shark, turtles, many large groupers and angelfish.

Mon Nov 8

Day 4 of the norte and the wind is the strongest yet. Harbor closed to all boats. We rent a jeep and tour the south and east side of the island. Had lunch at Mezcalitos right on the beach (see photo). View and the fish tacos are excellent.

Got back to the hotel around 2:30. The wind has died down and someone mentioned that the harbor was open. I called Christi to see if we could go dive. She quickly rounded up Pedro and Mago and we’re off for a late afternoon and a night dive. Only 2 other divers with us. This is another example of the outstanding customer service Christi provides. She could have easily said no to our last minute dive request but instead she happily accommodated us.

Going to the dive site, the wind and the swells pick up. First dive is Santa Rosa Wall (max depth 76 ft, time 45 mins) and it is our 1st nitrox dive. Coral formations and overhangs are spectacular. It’s eery to peer over into the blue abyss, adding to the beauty of the site. After surfacing, the wind had really picked up, and the harbor was now closed - no night dive. The water was so rough, they couldn’t drop us off at Caribe Blu, so we headed to the caleta. Near the caleta entrance, a larger boat is stranded. With no power, it was drifting toward the rocks, and was in serious trouble in the dark with the high winds and rough water. Mago pulled Shamu close so that Pedro could get a line to the boat. At first, they couldn’t move the boat, so they asked the larger boats passing by for help but the other captains all ignored their pleas. After 20-30 mins of incredible work by Pedro and Mago, they were able to tow the boat safely into the caleta. Way to go guys, you definitely did your good deed for the day!!

As if the norte wasn’t enough to limit our diving, Montezuma’s revenge added to my frustration. After dinner, felt nauseated with abdominal cramping. By midnight, I had fever/chills and the double whammy of hugging the toilet and diarrhea. I spent most of the night in the bathroom.

Tues Nov 9

By 7 AM, the hurling stopped but I still ache all over have fever and chills. No way I could dive and spent all day in bed with the drapes closed.

Wed Nov 10

I feel 100% better and ready to dive. Shamu is full and Christi gets us and 4 other customers on a boat operated by Liquid Blue. A minor irritation was the DM/owner of Liquid Blue would not allow us to bring the snacks that Christi prepared for the surface interval. He didn’t want to set the precedent of having snacks since he didn’t provide this service to his divers. We offered to share the snacks with the other divers, but still no go. A little frustrating and petty, but what can you do.

First dive is Colombia (max depth 91 ft, time 57 mins) and we saw turtles, many lobsters and angelfish. Second dive is Francesa (max depth 62 ft, time 65 mins).

Thurs Nov 11

No diving as we are leaving this afternoon. Of course, the wind has died down and the harbor is a sheet of glass.

To sum up, we had a fantastic time in spite of the norte and my GI problems - the only disappointing thing was that we didn’t dive nearly as much as we planned. We feel like Cozumel "owes" us some dives, guess we’ll have to plan another trip soon! Finally, I’d highly recommend both Caribe Blu and Blue XT Sea - they are a winning combination and we’d stay there and dive with Christi again in a heartbeat.

Nice Trip Report. I'm sure I already read this, but it must have gotten "lost" when the board was down for maintenance. It's good that you reposted it.

I agree, Blue XT Sea is a fine dive operator indeed.

nice report. I was with Christi and Caribe Blu in April and had an excellent trip.

Too bad about the weather/illness combo. Glad to see you could maintain a positive attitude despite the interference.

Great trip report!! We've been thinking about Caribe Blu for our next Coz trip ..... so your review was a great recommendation!!

Good report, thanks! Makes me want to hop a flight. Any idea what caused the GI issues? I assume you didn't have beer or margaritas at Mezcalitos as you dove that afternoon.

Sounds great. I can't wait until Christi sends my email back with my information. I hope it goes well.

MemphisDiver,

May I ask where you ate dinner on Monday the 8th evening. I too suffered your illness last Cozumel trip for a day and a half.

Thanks,
Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom