1st. dive lead jitters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DepthJunkie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anybody else nervous the night before leading their first dives?

Im diving with a newly certified friend at Dutch Springs today, and im a little nervous. My plans are conservative, including skills practice, the site is confined and familiar to me.

Anything beyond the basics I should keep in mind?

Remember that there's a good chance a newly certified diver won't be as focused as a team member needs to be, essentially making you a solo diver.

Anybody else nervous the night before leading their first dives?

Im diving with a newly certified friend at Dutch Springs today, and im a little nervous. My plans are conservative, including skills practice, the site is confined and familiar to me.

Anything beyond the basics I should keep in mind?

Are you going it just to the two of you? What do you mean by "confined" (i.e. depth). Sorry I am not familiar with the dive site you mention.

Based on your number of dives and the fact that your friend is newly certified, you may want to take a DM with you. I don't think it is a good idea for you to carry extra weight, but most DMs' and instructors would just in case weighting is off for the less experienced diver. A buoyancy check at the beginning of the dive and some extra weight to offset a lighter tank would be beneficial IMO.

Will you need a compass for navigation? Review hazards, lost diver procedure and let someone outside of the two of you know when you will be diving, where you will be diving and when you should be back. Do you have emergency numbers in your mobile just in case?

Hope this helps,

Arizona

Being nervous is to be expected, I would think. You are assuming a greater level of responsibility, at least morally. Are you a divemaster or just a "more experienced buddy"? If the latter just make sure your buddy knows that and that he is expected to be capable and responsible for himself.

As for tips, remember to keep the dive within *his* comfort zone. Discuss the dive plan beforehand. Go over hand signals before the dive. Remember that new divers often have trouble clearing on descent so don't rush the descent. New divers can suck air fast so check often, don't assume that if you have 1500psi he has plenty as well. Tell him to check often and alert you when he has reached 1000psi, for instance.

Swim very slow and look at him often. He won't move as efficiently in the water and what feels like a relaxed pace to you might leave him in the dust. If he seems amused by some sunken object then hang around and let him take it in. The old boat you've seen dozens of times and normally give a quick look over before moving on may be fascinating to him. If you can navigate well and bring you two back to your entry point, he will gain much confidence in you.

Diveing at a site you know is always good remember not to take him past his comfort zone and no deeper that he is qualifed to, keep him close try to use a line for desent and asent, and have fun

Steve

been there, its a good place to take him. take him around the pump house. You can get maximun depth and kinda meander your way shallower and shallower until you hit the stairs do a 3 :D

Dutch Springs is an ideal place to cut your teeth as the "senior" buddy. Take your time to plan a dive around your friend's limitations, but to have a fun dive. Take him to the map wall and review the plan along with the navigation coordinates. If you have a slate, I suggest you copy the map and the key sites onto it and note the compass headings that'll take you from one to the other as you go.

Other than the normal pre-dive reviews, I suggest you agree on two additional hand signals. The first is an "I'm not comfortable here and would like to go higher to plan "B", which might be less deep or closer to the entry/exit point, or not swimming through an attraction. The second is "I'm not comfortable and would like to turn the dive, let's head up to the safety stop, and head back.

Having these 2 "safe" signs available, will bolster your newbie friend's comfort, plus provide for an orderly retreat if necessary. Have fun. dF

After thought. On your prior dives you were probably the first to run low on air. Now the situation is different, and your buddy will probably breathe his tank down first. Plan on this and agree on air management and when to turn the dive. One thing I do with all my buddies is agree that the first to reach half a tank (or any other pre-agreed pressure) flash the other a big two handed "time-out" T for "tank". This gives the one with more air a basis for estimating how far his buddies air might last, and adjusting the dive plan.

I prefer this method to the flashing of numbers, which I've seen lead to mis-communication all too often. You should also agree in advance on at what point the "low air" sign should be given.

Choose a route connected by ropes to make Nav easier. The (lack of) vis at Dutch can be pretty intimdating to a newly certified or tropical diver. You can get a map at the dive shop near the entrance.
Prepare for the thermocline, which might be an entirely new experience. Do a bouyancy check when you get into the water, make sure you account for the difference in exposure protection.
A good route is descend onto the east platform on the penninsula side, follow the rope to the bus at 40', air check, follow the line from the right front of the bus to the Cessna at 25', Usually new divers are about 1000 pounds at this point, practice bouyancy and do a little sightseeing here. Lots of Bass hang by the Island. Do your ascent up the rope from the plane, Remember to do a safety stop.
Have fun.
The pump house is a terrific dive with a little more experience. It's about 70 feet to the bottom and not such a clearly defined route.
Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom