1st mostly Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spg01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am currently taking a somewhat relaxed AOW class. Relaxed as in we get dives in when we can get the group together. So far we have only done a nav dive working on squares and triangles. Last weekend I could not find anyone to dive with while I was at the shop, so I asked my instructor what he thought about me going out with him and his class to practice navigation while they did there drills.

He ended up saying it was up to me. In the back of my mind I knew it would not be a good example to the students. But he was leaving it up to me. Well, the time came for everyone to drop and his safety divers were checking over how many they had to keep track of when they came to me and asked what I was doing.

I paused for a second and said navigation. So they split into 2 groups and I went down the flag line. I was in about 20 ft of water in the middle of a big sand bed, that I have dove many times to get to the reef. So I started with a 2 squares then did 2 triangles. The last triangle was not so great, but I found out that the current was moving the float. So I will take partial credit for not hitting the mark.

I still had a lot of air when I figured that the other groups would be making their way back to shore. So I just cruised the bottom for a little bit and made a slow swim towards the beach. I just remember seeing so much in the sand since I was not trying to keep up or make sure everyone was still behind me. I just had my own pace and I was happy with it and had a good time.

Thats when one of the safety dive asked how I liked my 1st solo dive. I answered back that they were in the water also, so it was not really solo. But I guess it was since I had no buddy.

The 2nd dive I stayed with the group and watched them do some drills. Boring... Then I swam an overwatch on 2 divers that were certified after the drills. Basically made sure they got to the reef and back to shore. Which happened without incident. I have never actually helped with a class, but I have dove with them before just to get wet.

So good or bad, I survived. I am not sure if I will do it again anytime soon. But it was still a great dive.

The perfect place to start - an area you are very familiar with, people relatively close by who can at least look for you if you don't show up when expected, and a nice, relaxing dive without worrying about anyone except you.

Next thing you know, you'll be doing this all the time :wink:

Stay safe.

What jridg said. Soon you will be in the shop buying a reg, spg, and a pony bottle. All the power to ya!

PD

Well done!

A lot of folks will say that you are not really solo if you are diving with a group but off doing your own thing, but I disagree.

I feel that you are solo if you (1) Do not have an assigned buddy, or your buddy is not close by, (2) No one else is close by, and (3) No one is keeping an eye on you (and vice versa).

An awful lot of divers doing group dives qualify as "solo" divers without even knowing it :wink:

I do agree it was a good way to ease into solo. Or semi-solo, whatever :D

By the way, navigation skills are important for solo safety, so it is great you are practicing them! Good job.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the feedback. I was not sure what type of response I would get, especially not getting any for a few days :) I agree it was not all solo, but you have to start somewhere.

I just got lucky a few weeks ago when a friend of my uncle gave me his dive gear since has not dove in a few years. A complete DIN reg setup with a computer and a HP 100 tank. The tank is out for hydro and I am looking to get the regs services and switching my current setup to 300 DIN. So all I will need is a pony.

Thats when one of the safety dive asked how I liked my 1st solo dive. I answered back that they were in the water also, so it was not really solo. But I guess it was since I had no buddy.

So good or bad, I survived. I am not sure if I will do it again anytime soon. But it was still a great dive.

Well done!

A lot of folks will say that you are not really solo if you are diving with a group but off doing your own thing, but I disagree.

I feel that you are solo if you (1) Do not have an assigned buddy, or your buddy is not close by, (2) No one else is close by, and (3) No one is keeping an eye on you (and vice versa).

An awful lot of divers doing group dives qualify as "solo" divers without even knowing it :wink:

I do agree it was a good way to ease into solo. Or semi-solo, whatever :D

Thanks for the feedback. I was not sure what type of response I would get, especially not getting any for a few days :) I agree it was not all solo, but you have to start somewhere.

It appears you've got a healthy thinking process regarding solo diving in that you seem to be evaluating how your dive situation, risks and resources change during the dive.

I'll add that I completely agree with LeadTurn_SD about defining solo.

Some people will get into semantics when defining solo diving or when describing the degree of self-sufficiency required for certain dive scenarios, but it's more important to always view the risks as somewhat unpredictable and simply prepare for them.

If you do so, you'll continue to improve your self-sufficiency to adequately handle the situations that develop.

Eventually, you may even stop worrying about what other people think of your solo diving.... :D

Dave C

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Spg01

Because of the conditions I dive in I like to be very intentional about soloing. I think it is important to have the radar on full alert and not be lulled into a lax state of mind by the fact that other divers are near by. Not saying that's what you were doing; just adding it as a precautionary note. If you solo you should be mentally and physically prepared to solve any problems you encounter, by yourself.

Have fun and be careful. Think hard about the limits you elect to place on yourself and don't violate them.

...Some people will get into semantics when defining solo diving or when describing the degree of self-sufficiency required for certain dive scenarios, but it's more important to always view the risks as somewhat unpredictable and simply prepare for them.

If you do so, you'll continue to improve your self-sufficiency to adequately handle the situations that develop.... Dave C

.... Have fun and be careful. Think hard about the limits you elect to place on yourself and don't violate them.

I wanted to highlight and repeat a couple of really great points made above by Dave4868 and DaleC.

Different environments will require a different level of preparation and possibly different equipment (for buddy dives as well as solo diving). Try very hard to anticipate the risks associated with solo diving in general, and understand the risks that may be specific to your area.

Then set limits for yourself. These limits are determined by a combination of your own experience and skill, and by the environment you dive in.

I dive in a very benign enviroment compared to a lot of the solo divers on this board, but I still only allow myself to do VERY easy, simple, relatively shallow dives at sites I know well in good weather conditions. I abort dives at the drop of a hat when I'm solo.

Best wishes, and have fun!

Good for you! Solo diving adds another dimension to scuba and It makes diving even more thrilling (at least for me it does). If you get a pony, dont forget you need redundant boyancy as well! Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom